Author Topic: Sunk ships and survivors  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Blackdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sunk ships and survivors
« on: Tuesday 08 April 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I have a photo of a relative (Lennard Ellison) in a naval ratings uniform.  The cap badge says RN VR.  The back of the photo claims his ship was sunk and he survived two weeks in an open boat. I assume the cap badge was his ship but is there any records that will relate to a sinking and survivors.
   Any information would be great to flesh this event out a bit.
                Thanks, Adrian
Ellison Yorkshire, Selway Somerset, Holland Northumberland, Kenney Leicester, Marlow Leicester, Lane Somerset & Berkshire, Walker Nottingham, Sharpe Nottingham, Price Nottingham

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sunk ships and survivors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
His Cap Tally is Royal Naval Voluntary Reserve....in wartime they didnt wear the ships name as it could give Intelligence away.
If you could get hold of his service record from NA or FAAM ....The uniform looks Circa WW2(* on second look forget that the cap is totally wrong!! WW1 it is! ::) it should list his sea service and records could be found to tie in with her sinking.
I take it the ships name isnt on the photo??

:)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Blackdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for that.  There are no details of the ship on the photo but it does say 14/18 war.  If the uniform was WW2 I suppose he then could have been in the reserve during that war if he had naval experience or did they have a voluntary reserve in WW1?
Ellison Yorkshire, Selway Somerset, Holland Northumberland, Kenney Leicester, Marlow Leicester, Lane Somerset & Berkshire, Walker Nottingham, Sharpe Nottingham, Price Nottingham

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:18 BST (UK) »
Yes they had RNVR in both wars.Have had a look at Service Records online at the NA cannot find him did he have any other name and approx date of birth and location we may yet find him!! :)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just been looking at the RNVR guide at the NA i think its just full RN service lads online the RNVR Records are in ADM337/1 so it maybe a visit.

I got a RNR service record from the Fleet air arm museum it took about 6 weeks to come i made a contribution to their museum for the stuff.
If you google FAA Museum Yeovilton and click on research you should find details.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Blackdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     He was born in 1896 in Ecclesfield Yorkshire.  I have a second spelling of his name as Leonard.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:44 BST (UK) »
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Blackdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  I will post how I get on but it sounds a bit of a wait.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 08 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blackdog

I don't know how you got on with this but there are now some RNVR records downloadable from the National Archives including that of a Leonard ELLIS born 15 Jan 1896 - could that be him?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/rnvr.asp

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk