Author Topic: conflicting IGI records  (Read 5975 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: conflicting IGI records
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 17:07 BST (UK) »
I see that St.Michaels was built in 1828 on the site of the old Chapel . . . also GENUKI are selling a CD of "The Parish Registers of St Michael & All Angels (CMB 1765-1906)" . . . so I guess the registers must pre-date the church and include the Chapel registers . . .

I don't suppose anyone has bought the CD ? . . . I'm almost tempted to spend £10 to find out what's on it . . . and see if it matches the IGI   :-\
Mike.

PS. Thanks for the PM and photos, Cath  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: conflicting IGI records - anyone going to Matlock?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
It has been suggested that someone might be able to look at the Hope Parish Registers for me at Matlock, to try to resolve this problem. So if some kind soul is planning a trip there, and has a little spare time after finding all their own information. . .  :) ::)

Children of Charles Wheat & Elizabeth (Fern):
 Mary Wheat 1 Jun 1783
 William Fern Wheat 17 Feb 1785
 Ann Wheat 23 Jul 1786

The IGI originally listed them under Hartington, but subsequently also at Hope. It would be good to know exactly where they were christened.  :-\

Many thanks for all the help I've had on this.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 April 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
There is no record of any of these children in Hope register ???
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 April 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
There is no record of any of these children in Hope register ???

Thanks for looking, omskirk, it is much appreciated.  :)

I reckon the most likely birthplace has to be Hartington/Earl Sterndale where the parents were married. The registers must be somewhere . . . the IGI obviously found them, or at least the Bishop's Transcripts.

Mike.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 April 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
So to recap Not at Hope Parish Church,

Not of film 1041011 Bapt 1765 - 1882 Parish register of Earl sterndale.

Might be on

Film 1041012 Parish register of Hartington 1610 - 1968

Would you like me to look at this one Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 April 08 18:40 BST (UK) »
Please don't go to too much trouble on my account, Cath, I'm already in your debt.  :-[

But if you happen to be looking for something else in the vicinity . . . well, it is a rather intriguing situation   :-\

Mike.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 April 08 18:52 BST (UK) »
Just been doing a bit more research, and it seems that Lichfield have the Bishop's Transcripts for Hope 1661-1868 but they only have Hartington and Earl Sterndale from 1800, which suggests that their earlier records were included with Hope's as someone suggested a while back, hence the IGI muddle . . . maybe  ???

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 April 08 06:08 BST (UK) »
I can't help with Hope I'm afraid, but I have the transcripts of both Earl Sterndale and Hartington as mentioned on GENUKI. There are no WHEAT baptisms at all in Earl Sterndale, and in Hartington there are just 3 - the 3 you already know about (Mary, William & Ann). However it also gives their parents' residence as Heathcote (a small village about a mile east of Hartington).

The marriage is shown in Earl Sterndale, as you already know, between Charles Wheate, goldsmith of Earl Sterndale and Elizabeth Fern, spinster of Earl Sterndale, by license on 11/7/1782. Witnesses were William Creswell & James Saunders.

Its possible that the marriage license will be at Lichfield Record Office, but only a few licenses have survived. If it has survived it may possibly have further information which would help trace Elizabeth's origin.

As for possible bapts for Elizabeth (as per your other thread), the Hartington transcript lists the bapt of Betty Fern, daughter of Thos & Alice Fern of Heathcott on 1/3/1754. Given that she came from Heathcote, where your Elizabeth lived after marriage, I would suggest she is a likely candidate - especially as there is no sign of her childhood burial or a different marriage.
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, msallen. I hadn't previously come across Heathcote in my research, so that is most helpful.  :)

As for Elizabeth's origins, the evidence certainly seems to be building up for Betty Fern as the strongest contender. One of their sons' middle name was Thomas, possibly after Betty's father? The only counter arguments seem to be that Betty would have been 46 when her youngest child was born, and that the only date I have found would make her 87 when she died, neither of which is impossible.

Thank you again to everyone who has helped me in the search for this family.  :)

Mike.