Author Topic: COMPLETED - Christian Moffat-nee Fraser  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Christian Moffat-nee Fraser
« on: Wednesday 09 April 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
I need help finding the marriage, death and burial place of Christian and her hubby William.

The only records I have are: William and Christian had a son Andrew - 9 December 1797 in  Annan.

They are the parents of Joseph Moffat- as stated on his death cert- born circa1804, in Dumfies Shire

William was a blacksmith.

William and Christian do not appear in the 1801-1821 Annan censes records. There is a William, blacksmith, married to a Hannah in the Annan censes.

Christian's father was Andrew. Mother unknown. Her siblings were: James, Mary, John, Andrew, Marion.

It was assumed that as Joseph married and had his first two children in Annan, that that was where he was born. However, if this was the case he should have been in the Annan censes.

I believe that the William married to the Hannah was the brother of Joseph.

It is my belief that they died pre 1841.

Any connections out there?  :(
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Phyllis2729

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad, JJ Smith
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Moffat-nee Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Jamjar:

I'm fairly new to this site, but I think I can give you some info regarding your William Moffat (if it's the same one as I have).  My William Moffat was born 1817, Annan on the 1821 And 1841 Census lived on High Street, occupation listed as Flesher/Butcher.  He had brothers as follows:  William b. 11 Apr 1808; d. bef. 1817; George b. May 1809 (?); d. Dec. 1815; Richard B Jun 1812; Kenneth McKauley (or Macauley) B. 23 Nov 1820; d. 1881 in West Derby, Lancs - this was my ggggrandfather - ; John b. 1823, d. bef. 1841; Joseph B. 28 Dec 1824, d. 3 Jan 1848; and William had sisters Hannah b. 28 Mar 1810, d. 2 Feb 1889 Kirkoswald, Cumberland and Janet B. 5 Oct 1828, d. aft. 1841.  Don't know if this helps you and these are the people you are looking for.  If so I have some additional info on this family.

Most of them were Fleshers or Butchers in Annan and their parents were
Blacksmiths in Annan.  The father William was born abt. 1783 Annan, d. 11 Jan 1848 Annan; married Jennet Irving on 28 Jul 1805 Annan she was daughter of
Thomas Irving & Margaret Huggan.  Jennet was born 16 Dec 1786 Gretna, d. 27 Aug 1851 Annan.  I'm not having much luck finding info on Thomas and Jennet must post my query.

Phyllis2729  :D
Smith, Moffat, Lane, Beggs, Irving
Fitzpatrick, Idle, Brooks, Gerrard,
Colley, Lightbound, Aspin(w)all,
Howarth, Johnson, Sixsmith, Tickle

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Phyllis
I have a photograph of the headstone of your William married to Janet Irving. I only took it this week. If you send me a personal message, via this site, I'll send photos, if you don't have them already.

This William is somehow related to our William, but I can't work out where, as yet.

Our William was born about 1776 and our Joseph 1804

Where have you looked for Thomas and Janet?
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline alistairandsandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 02:40 BST (UK) »
I have quite a bit of information on this line if you would like to contact me direct.  *   Andrew Moffat b. 1797 is my husbands direct line and Andrew and his wife Mary Ann Knox are buried in Kirkpatrick Fleming Church yard.  We have also researched Joseph Moffat b. 1804 who moved to Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire.  Regards, Sandy  (Tasmania)

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 09:49 BST (UK) »

Alistair and Sandy,

While I was on rootschat checking for any replies I came accross yours.

I am interested in the Joseph b. 1804.

If this Joseph was born 1804 in Penninghame, Newton Stewart  and, married Catherine Johnstone in 1824 then, he is more than likely to be my G.G.Grandfather.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline alistairandsandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 08 10:03 BST (UK) »
Yes cupcake this is the very person.   Sandy

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »

That's excellent.

So, if I am correct, your Andrew and Joseph were brothers. I started doing my research on the Moffat family, many years ago and still doing so.

Joseph and Catherine had a son Robert Johnstone Moffat, he is my G. Grandfather.

Margaret

Offline alistairandsandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, are you Margaret Titterington from Dumfries as Janice Pratt has given me your email address, so can I contact you direct?  Yes, they were brothers and my husband is descended from Andrew Moffat & Mary Ann Knox.  Regards, Sandy

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 September 08 12:12 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Yes, I am Margaret Titterington, from Dumfries.

Janice put the message on rootschat in April, when she was over here.We have been helping each other in our researches.

Regards

Margaret