Author Topic: Is this beyond a restore ?  (Read 34295 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this beyond a restore ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 April 08 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kali, and I totally share your sentiments about this photo.  Apart from the amazing composition itself, the first thought that occurred to me was how many of these wonderful men and women made it home (there are ladies seated in the front row). 

I think it's an absolute treasure and like you feel it belongs in a museum.  I could have happily spent a week working on this one, which would be a very small sacrifice to honour their memory.

Cheers
Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 April 08 02:03 BST (UK) »
spot on caz my sentiments exactly, if i had the time and talent i would work on it forever,
some of of my old work mates survived the hell of the last war some as rear gunners in the lancasters, told me stories that you can't even imagine, every single one of them people that lived through them times deserve a huge accolade. you done a cracking job on that photo caz, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 April 08 02:08 BST (UK) »
I can't even begin to imagine what they went through.  :'(

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 April 08 02:13 BST (UK) »
lets hope we never get to know, and now to bed, g'nite, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 April 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interest shown Caz and Kali,

Too many people tried to distance themselves from this conflict  and I share you opinion that their sacrifice should be properly remembered.

The only knowledge I have is that my father joined the RAF late 1942 and he is on that picture, He said it was at RAF Binbrook but who knows, Binbrook was home to the RAAF in 1943.
He once told me that Polish aircrew were at the base.

Apart from a few other photos of the base thats the extent of my knowledge, don't you wished you'd asked when you had the chance.

Caz If you still want the original, whats the Max size for E=mail attachments

Cheers Woolley
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 April 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Yes a phrnomenal photo, and one that took some staging.

I'd also love to hear the story behind it.

I don't think I'd want to be one of those on the outer edge of the wings.  It looks a bit too much like those lined up dominos things. If one near the fuselage stumbles, then they are all going over!

Stef.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 April 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
Fabulous restore.

It is a BIG picture too.  Being as we're restricted with printer size I wonder if someone like genealogy printers could get it out on a really large sheet, so that it could go to a place with room to hang it, museum, RAF.  I'm sure loads of places would love to get their hands on a copy.     

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:07 BST (UK) »
Blimey :o :o How did I miss this ..Fabulous pic ... wow ...GREAT RESTORES Caz and Kali ...Ooh I 'd love a big ...I mean real big copy of it woolley  please.. I can accept up to 10 mbs    ...I'll pm you ..
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi POLLDOLL,
I did the original at 600dpi in two halves, both added upto 18MB will try at 1200dpi and attempt to get both under 10mb.

Cheers

Woolley
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett