Author Topic: Where are all the McKinnon's?  (Read 46412 times)

Offline justanotherbody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the McKinnon's?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 October 08 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks a bunch, much appreciated.

Offline Jeanie Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 April 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am looking for a McKinnon family from Dalry, Ayr, Scotland. John and Isabella were on the Glenlora June 1879 to New Zealand. They lived in Darfield and Springfield near Christchurch. They arrived with children James 6, John 4, William 2 and Sarah infant. 5 more children were born in New Zealand. John was a ganger on the Midland Line when the railway to the West Coast was being built. Hope you can help. Jeanie Rose

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, i've just started on the mackinnon line in my tree and its proving very difficult.  there isn't that much data around for 1700's and then when u try and read the gros searches some are really faded.  I did have a bit of luck, I did a search for colin mctavish born in mull in the 1700's but the parents were wrong so left it.  then when i was doing something else i accidentally spent my last 5 credits on the viewing the unwanted search, but found out that naughty old Martin McPhaiden had a son in fornication (no name of the mother) born three months after this first daughter.  i was quite pleased even though at the time i was annoyed with myself.  Enough raving.

My Mackinnon is a Marion who married a Martin McPhaiden (and all the variations in spelling).  I have no idea who her parents were.  Don't know if Marion married Martin McPhaiden (no luck in searches).  Their first child Catherine was born 2 Aug 1794 at Cameron, Moy, Torosay as was Martin's son Donald on 16 Nov 1794.

Then the only other info. I have on Marion (maybe) is that she is in Oban in 1841, independent and her first name is Sarah McFayden, living with Charles (son and Casstie but it would be Cirsty, her daughter).

Going on the names of the other children I assuming Marion's father could have been called Donald, Hector or Neil or  John.  Sarah.
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy

Offline Jenac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 August 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Homebody - Have you seen this site? http://www.kithandkinfamilytree.com/ - dedicated to Neil McKinnon (ex Barra, Scotland) and Hannah McDonald, Prince Edward Island, Canada and their descendants.  I'm just starting on my own trek, so very new to this, but this site seemed to contain a lot of well-researched info and links to McKinnon family trees.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 August 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lois - From your interest (names) Drysdales etc from Clackmannan, there are also McKinnons mainly around the Alva area, the earliest I have thought is Peter c1829 born Ryend Perthshire.
Regards patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline maggiemack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and found it while googling  :) .  I'm a MacKinnon from my father's side and would love to trace my family roots back and I have very little information to go on.  My grandfather Lachlan MacKinnon was from the Isle of Skye and I think he was born sometime in the 1890's. He fought during WWI in the cavalry.  I believe he had a  few brothers, the only brother's name I know is John MacKinnon (I was told he was the bagpipe player of the family).  I would love to learn more about my grandfather's family and parents and geneology. My grandmother was Margaret McKinnon (maiden name was spelled McKinnon - so they were both MacKinnons prior to their marriage....) from Larkhall.  She was also born I believe sometime in the 1890's.  I have no information about her family but do know she had brothers and sisters. but would love to trace her geneology as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline maggiemack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
i just got a bit more information from ancestry.com!  My grandfather Lachlan was born in 1887. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You need to be able to verify and confirm your ancestors through other sources. As you can see, there are always a number of possibilities for entries on censuses.

Have you got your father's birth cert which would include full details on his parents' names, including their marriage date which is normally shown on the birth cert?

I can't easily see a Lachlan and Margaret McKinnon (with wild cards for spelling variations) marriage on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, the official pay to view site for BMDs for Scotland.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggiemack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 04:34 BST (UK) »
thank you Monica  :)  Unfortunately I don't have my father's birth certificate - am still trying to get a copy.  I'll keep looking.  thanks again for your message.