Author Topic: Where are all the McKinnon's?  (Read 46425 times)

Offline Homebody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the McKinnon's?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 September 10 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone:   Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone until now, but was away on a vacation to the Yukon and Northwest Terratories.  I had so many brick walls that I sort of packed it away until I could give it more time.  I'm glad to see that other McKinnon's are coming forward.  I will be looking at that web-site that Jenac suggested, and Patvp1, I did see some McKinnon's around Alva, but none seemed to match, also my McKinnon and Drysdale didn't meet until both were in Canada.  I recently met a cousin that I hadn't seen in years, and she had some photos that I had never seen before.  My Grandmother Drysdale looked like a prim and proper young lady, and Grandad McKinnon  looked like a slightly roguish charmer.  I wonder how they met.  Even though I haven't reached my goal, I have found some distant relatives who are now interested in the search also.  I hope it will lead to some more details coming forward, but the McKinnon's are a secretive bunch.  Thanks to everyone who continues to help.  Lois
McKinnon/McNeil/McIntyre? - Barra   Drysdale/Smart - Clackmannon/Stirling  Foxford/Strong/Tarring - Plymouth/Devon

Offline chary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
My auntie married into the MacKinnons from Harris. All i know is that there is Sandy, Chrissy, Donald John and ronny. They all stay in a small area called scadabay which is there family are.

my auntie mary-ann maccuish was married to donald john mackinnon, they never had any children.

im interested in any other information that anybody knows about that family

Offline isobelmacle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Am new to this Genealogy so bear with me. I have Mackinnons in my husbands family but they were from South Uist.
Marion Mackinnon born about 1834 her father was a Donald and I think the mother was a Marion ........... Marion married a Donald Maclean  about 1854 in South Uist some of the info comes from the Family Search site. Any further info of Marions parents or even info on Donald Macleans parents would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline RodyRabbit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 March 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have just spent a long time tracing back the McKinnon / Mackinnon line in my family.
Donald b. about 1780 and Catherine (Livingstone) b. about 1785 lived in Inverness shire / Lanarkshire. They had 13 children, Neil b. about 1801, Margaret, Charles b. August 1804, Ann, Flora b. 1806, Donald, Mary, Hector b. 6 June 1814, Janet b. 18 January 1817, Catherine b. 12 September 1819, John b. 15 December 1807 Duncan and Nancy). Catherine and Donald are recorded as having died in Canada.

Their 6th son, John left Scotland for London.
John married Susanna Charlotte Sheldrake Curtis b. 1808 on 20th May 1830 at St Martins in the Field, Westminster, London.
John and Susanna had 5 children, 4 girls and a boy, William b. 1842. Girls were Margaret b. 1839, Emma b. 1841, Marian b. 1855 and Susannah b. 1849. They lived in the Islington / Clerkenwell area of London throughout their lives. John died in 1870. Susanna died in April 1890.

William married Charlotte Smith on 27 September 1868 in Islington, London, and they had eight children. William James b. 1870, Charles b. 1872, Charlotte b. 1874, Rose b. 1876, Arthur b. 1879, Amy b. 1880, Florence b. 1882 and May / Mary b. 1885. Census information for 1881 suggests they were all living at 22, Goswell Street, London. It also suggests that William's mother Susanna lived with them, as did Susanna's older sister Mary Ann Curtis b. 1796. Mary Ann seems to have lived well into her 80's.

William James married Rose Alice Bedford and they had three sons that I could find. William Herbert b. 1897, Ernest Charles b. 1898 and Albert Arthur b. 30.12.1899. Ernest is recorded as serving in the Great war, though survived and died in Merseyside, England in 1996 aged 98 years.

Albert Arthur was my maternal grandfather. He married Jane Ann Edmond in 1937 and died in 1972. Jane died in 2002.

Albert Arthur had two children, Albert b. 1936 and Anne b.1940. Anne is my mother.

Albert emigrated to America in the 1960's and is now retied and I believe living in New York. He had no children.

Anne married Percy Thomas Willson Smith and had four children, Anthony, David, Sarah (me) and Georgina. I have one son, James.

So, if you are a direct descendent of Donald and Catherine McKinnon who emigrated to Canada, then I guess we are related !!

Other bits I picked up are that for some reason McKinnon became Mackinnon after John moved to London.

William James' occupation is noted as 'stereotyper (journeyman)' which apparently means he was a printer and on the lowest level of membership at the printers guild.

One of the census also notes that William James had a servant.

Most of William James' children appear to have married.
Arthur married Frances Caroline Denerley on 16.01.1904
Amy married Herbert Charles Green on 14.07.1907
Rose married John Samuel Hardwidge on 18.05.1901
Florence married Arthur Andrew Bolt on 22.08.1908
William James married Rose Alice Bedford

Would love to hear what happened to the McKinnons' who went to Canada. 

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 March 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi to anyone still looking for McKinnons. I have a possible McKinnon ancestor I'm looking at. I've got a Christina/Christy McKinnon who was married to Alexander Grant and had children Donald, Mary and Ann. I don't know a lot more about Christina I'm afraid. Any help appreciated.
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
MacKinnon - Kilpheder, South Uist
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hope this helps someone - data I have collected whilst doing my own MacKinnon line although I haven't found a connection with this lot but there are names in this list connected to me either through my Steele or Cumming lines.

Descendants of Colin MacKinnon

Generation No. 1

1.  Colin1 MacKinnon  He married Mary MacInnes 1855 in South Uist, Inverness, Scotland1. 

Child of Colin MacKinnon and Mary MacInnes is:
+   2   i.   Peter2 MacKinnon, born Abt. 1858; died Abt. 1917.

Generation No. 2

2.  Peter2 MacKinnon (Colin1) was born Abt. 1858, and died Abt. 1917.  He married (1) Ann MacIsaac 1889 in Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland2,3, daughter of Roderick MacIsaac and Mary MacIntyre.  She was born Abt. 1859 in 333 Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland, and died Abt. 1890.  He married (2) Ann MacIntyre 21 Nov 1892 in Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland4, daughter of Angus MacIntyre and Catherine MacIntyre.  She was born Abt. 1870 in Howmore, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland.

Notes for Ann MacIsaac:
Ann may have died with problems subsequent to childbirth as the dates are coincidental? More research will determine my thoughts.

Marriage Notes for Peter MacKinnon and Ann MacIsaac:
Peter later married Ann's half 1st cousin once removed, Ann MacIntyre.

Child of Peter MacKinnon and Ann MacIsaac is:
   3   i.   Christina3 MacKinnon, born Abt. 1889.  She married John MacDonald 02 Oct 1917 in Eriskay, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland; born Abt. 1878 in 11 Bunavulin, Eriskay, Scotland.

Children of Peter MacKinnon and Ann MacIntyre are:
   4   i.   Colin3 MacKinnon, born 02 Sep 1894 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
+   5   ii.   Catherine MacKinnon, born Abt. 1896 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland; died Unknown.
   6   iii.   Angus MacKinnon, born Abt. 1898 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
   7   iv.   Angus MacKinnon, born Abt. 1900 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
   8   v.   Mary Kate MacKinnon, born Abt. 1901 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
   9   vi.   John MacKinnon, born Abt. 1903 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
   10   vii.   Mary Ann MacKinnon, born Abt. 1905 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.

Generation No. 3

5.  Catherine3 MacKinnon (Peter2, Colin1) was born Abt. 1896 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland, and died Unknown.  She married (1) Alexander MacIntyre Abt. 1916, son of Archibald MacIntyre and Marion MacLellan.  He was born Abt. 1888 in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.  She married (2) John MacIsaac 07 Dec 1921 in St. Patrick's Church, Anderston Glasgow, Scotland5, son of Neil MacIsaac and Isabella MacIntyre.  He was born 24 Apr 1885 in Haun, Eriskay, Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland, and died Unknown.

Notes for Catherine MacKinnon:
Catherine's mother was Margaret MacDougall but her father was widowed and remarried Catherine Campbell and on her marriage certificate she has her mother down as Catherine MacDougall but Catherine was her step - mother.

Children of Catherine MacKinnon and Alexander MacIntyre are:
   11   i.   Female4 MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
Dii.
   12   ii.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
+   13   iii.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
+   14   iv.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
+   15   v.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.
   16   vi.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland. 

Immigrated to Australia.

17   vii.   Male MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.

Moved to Nairn, Scotland.

+   18   viii.   Female MacIntyre, born in 295 Kilpheder, Boisdale, South Uist, Scotland.

Child of Catherine MacKinnon and John MacIsaac is:
+   19   i.    Male Alexander4 MacIsaac (Catherine3 MacKinnon, Peter2, Colin1) was born in 7 East Kilbride, Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness, Scotland. 

More in next post as there was not enough room.

Anne Marie.

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
MacKinnon - Kilpheder, South Uist
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
continued

If anyone wants to PM me with their email address I will be happy to send a report on the Colin MacKinnon & Mary MacInnes line.

Anne Marie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne and RoddyRabbit

You both need to take some care with posting on the open forum details of people who may still be alive. Given what has been mentioned and the dates of births, likely some will be. RootsChat is not a forum for posting details about living people to protect their identity (security etc.).

Would be good if you could edit (just click 'modify' button on your posts) to take out details of people who are still living  :)

Many thanks for your co-operation  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Somerville66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
My William & his son John McKinnon first appear in Kilmonivaig in Invernesshire in 1822.  I believe they came from Skye before that but I cannot find the evidence.