Author Topic: Where are all the McKinnon's?  (Read 46304 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the McKinnon's?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 January 13 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all M(a)cKinnons – mine are South Uist. I don’t see a definite connection with Isobel (Yet) but a possible!

I have a few wee snippets that all in the discussion will /should find a wee bit helpful hopefully or have you running to the nearest hills faster than a 3 legged Haggis?

I realise this is an old post but I will add to it in the hope it may be of help to others if you have all managed to advance since.

Lois

After careful consideration and some educated guess work, I decided that both censuses were very likely to be the same family. Having established that Chirsty MacIntyre was the “Cottar” in 1841 it would seem she has passed away within the following 10yrs and the croft would pass to “Son-in-Law" Donald. So, assuming Catherine’s maiden name was MacIntyre, I looked for Marriage & Births/Baptisms under MacKinnon/MacIntyre partnership and “Bingo”!

My thoughts are that Mary (20) Farm Servant is Chirsty’s daughter, i.e. Catherine’s sister.

Donald MacKinnon & Catherine MacIntyre

Although I did not find Donald & Catherine’s union in marriage it may just have been left out as was the “norm” back then as entries were not done at the time of the occasion but filled in at a later date with several entries at a time. The info. I have is also incomplete.

Kids – (All born Bruernish, Barra)

All Baptisms recorded at Craigston, Barra (spellings as per transcriptions)

Anne b 21 Apr 1837    baptised 24 Apr
John b 10 Oct 1839          “        12 Oct
Eion b 26 Dec 1840         “            28 Dec (Eion/Ewen/Evan/Hugh)
Mary b 04 Sep 1844        “          12 Sep 

Isobel

Marion MacKinnon – c1824 – c1901 (Marion’s father was John), mother unknown at this time but her death cert. may throw up the answer. Problem with a lot of my older generations the mother’s maiden names are often unknown. When you find out her name I would be very interested to compare notes.

Donald MacLean b Jan 1830, Milton, Howmore, S/U baptised 05 Jan – died unknown. (Father Donald, Mother Mary O’Henley)

Married 05 Feb 1854 – Bornish. At time of marriage Donald was living in Garrynamonie, Boisdale, S/U & Marion was living in Lochboisdale, Boisdale, S/U

They had 7 offspring, and I’m wondering from which one you are descended?

Marion/Sarah?

Someone mentioned about Marion being Sarah in 2 different census records. This was very common (as I found out yrs ago) but mind boggling as there is no obvious likeness. However, just to add to the confusion I will list other variants.

Marion/Merron/Merrion/Sarah/Sara/Sorcha/Clara/Una – sources verified in my own tree!!!!

Lois,

You mention us MacKinnon's being a secretave lot. My guess is that your 1st generation had no English, only the Gaelic tongue and it was a case of history being lost through not being able to communicate???

One last thing on the SP searching. If not sure of a name for certain leave forename box blank or only put in the 1st initial. I was searching my grandmother, known to me as Maggie Jean so "assumed" her to be Margaret Jane or Janet as my grandmother was Janet. SP must have thought they had hit the jackpot with me that day as I tried every name variation thinkable until my patience ran out and left it blank and hit on it no problem. Turned out her name was (and this is the actual spelling/written) - Maggy-Jane (no space)!!!! The last thing I would have thought of.

Regards,

Anne Marie (MacKinnon)

P.S. Do let me know if anyone managed to glean anything from my posting please.

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Domzambelli

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 March 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
My granny was Flora mckinnon born to Angus Young mckinnon. She was born in tumbulgum northern nsw.

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 30 March 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
If it helps, there are over 4,000 McKinnon names on the WikiTree site.
https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/McKinnon

Plus over 2,000 MacKinnon
https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/MacKinnon

Good searching!

Offline Glen19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 April 24 06:22 BST (UK) »
I am the descendant of Catherine McKinnon who apparently came from Peinchorran on the Isle of Skye and John Smith who apparently came from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.   This is what I found.

1851 Scotland Census
Census & Voter Lists
Quick compare

Name   Catherine Smith   
Birth   1787 Punkurson   
Residence   1851 city, Argyll, Scotland   New
Spouse   John Smith

1841 Scotland Census
Census & Voter Lists
Quick compare

Name   Catherine McKinnon   
Birth   1786 Inverness, Scotland   
Residence   1841 township, Inverness, Scotland

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I don't subscribe to Ancestry.com I am not sure which township she lived in in 1841.  Would anyone know?

Below is what my cousin wrote to me:

"I know she was married in 1825 in Greenock to John Smith  child Marion born 1829  then sometime later the family moved to live in Argyll I found them there living in Carrick".

John Smith was a fisherman for a period.

They appear to only have had one child and her name was Marion Smith.

Marion had Scottish born descendants, but then they started to immigrate to New Zealand, while the Scottish side either remained in Scotland or moved to England.

That all said we cannot find Catherine McKinnon's birth certificate so I am thinking I wonder if she was Roman Catholic and if those records were destroyed some how.

Offline Glen19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 April 24 06:46 BST (UK) »
Just read Rosinish's post (but didn't know how to reply to her post directly) and I too have the surname MacIntyre somewhere in my ancestry I believe, but as yet haven't figured out where this line came from.  My great grandmother's name was Mary MacIntyre Greaves and she descends from the MacKinnon's of Skye.

Was wondering too from Rosinish's post what a "cotar" was?

Offline Glen19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 April 24 06:50 BST (UK) »
I've been told by a cousin that one of the male relatives of Catherine MacKinnon was kidnapped and made to work on a boat (shanghaied).  We have no idea of his name, but would love to know who he was and where he ended up.

I know sometimes back in the 1800s people's surnames would get changed to what their master's surname was.  I'm hoping this isn't the case, in relation to my distant ancestoral uncle or cousin.

Does anyone know where you can find out the names of boats, that the kidnapped male Islanders were forced to work on?  Kind of wondering if they ended up in Jamaica, as I have a 4th to 6th cousin who is partially black American but somehow we are connected through DNA.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 April 24 16:16 BST (UK) »
There are far better sources for Scottish records than Ancestry, which has only transcriptions and indexes. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

John Smith and Catherine McKinnon were married in Greenock in 1825. The original marriage record is available at Scotland's People (SP) www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There are records from the 1841 and 1851 censuses of a family at Lochgoilhead, Argyll who appear to match your information. The screenshots are from https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl which has very much better transcriptions than those on Ancestry.

(Goodness alone knows where Ancestry's notoriously inept transcribers got 'Punkurson' from)

You can, and indeed should, view images of the original handwritten documents at SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.