Author Topic: Where are all the McKinnon's?  (Read 46307 times)

Offline donm41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the McKinnon's?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 May 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lois

We went for a short holiday but we have made several visits since I started my research in 1992. My father and his ancestors came from Benbecula and South Uist. The MacKinnon family are just a small portion  of my connections to the islands. Janet MacKinnon is my 3 x grandmother.

The Outer Hebrides are very beautiful and an extremely popular destination, as are the other areas of Scotland, for all kinds of tourists from all over the world. The weather can be quite fierce in the winter months but early Spring can be very good.
There are several websites which could provide some useful information for you including : -
http://www.southuist.com/index.php?action=readguestbook&set=3 where you will find someone researching MacKinnon amongst other names. It's a free website but you must join to view the members area. This is also another one which may provide some information http://www.uistonline.com/ Finally this may be your best website to find some of your MacKinnon connections http://catriona.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=catriona&view=9&rand=28091332

Good luck and I hope you manage to visit the islands.

Donm
Morrison, MacPherson, MacLellan, Benbecula
MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Bowie, MacDonald, South Uist
Scarr, Turner, NRY, NBL, DUR

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Homebody
I have three lots of Mackinnons in my family tree, just to add to the confusion.As far as I can see they mostly came from Harris and Sleat. i think they might have moved around a bit too. I am thinking of getting intouch with Bill Lawson too, eventually.
Catherine
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline samevans1945

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 14:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Mckinnon,

I've just started my family genealogy on PEI & understand our ancestors [Donald Mckinnon/Euphemia Maclean] came from Skye, Church of Scotland & were gaelic-speaking.
There were a staggering number of Donald Mckinnons that emigrated from Scotland & I will make a note of any from Barra.
I do know that a lot of people from Barra, settled in C.B.I., so you might find more info there?
www.automated genealogy.com is the best resource for the Canadian census.
www.islandregister.com has searchable family trees online.
Here is the link to PEI censuses & some birth certificate, etc.:
 ttp://www.gov.pe.ca/cca/index.php3?number=1004626&lang=E

P.S.The reason I replied was your Macduff crest- my ggrandmother was a  Macduff from Dumfriesshire- they are on the islandregister under the Johnstone family tree.
Evans/Sadler+Macleod/Mckinnon/Enman

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lois
Just so know, I have some more McKinnons for you! My Gr Grand parents
Name:   James McKINNON, GG Grandfather
----------------------------------------
Birth:   10 Mar 1820   Isle Of Skye, Scotland4
Death:   1 Dec 1903   Barrington, NSW3, 13533
Death Memo:   Cause: heart failure
Baptism:   1 May 1820   Sleat, Inverness, Scotland
Father:   Lachlane McKINNON (1792-)
Mother:   Jean CAMPBELL (1796-)
Marriage:   18 Aug 1861   10 Mile Station, Stroud, NSW2, 2713
Spouse:   Flora Anne McQUEEN, GG Grandmother
Birth:   19 Mar 1839   Dunmore Station, Millers Forest NSW1, 82647
Death:   23 Jan 1903   Barrington, NSW3, 631
Death Memo:   Cause: Senilty period decade
Father:   Archibald McQUEEN
Mother:   Christina ROSS (1800-1903)

Name:   Lachlane McKINNON, GGG Grandfather, 022
Birth:   1792   Camstradden, Luss, Dunbarton, Scotland4, film:537395

Spouses:
1:   Jean CAMPBELL, GGG Grandmother, 0220
Birth:   1796   Camstradden, Luss, Dunbarton, Scotland4, film:537384
Father:   James CAMPBELL
Mother:   Margaret MACAULAY
Marriage:   5 Jan 1817   Camstradden, Luss, Dunbarton, Scotland4, 537395 pg 44
Children:   Catherine "Kate" (1818-)
   James, 021 (1820-1903)
   Peggy (1822-1888)
   Donald (1825-1898)
   John (1827-
   Allan (1830-1907)
   Jane (1833-)
The son John b. in 1827 apparently immigrated to Ontario, Canada!! year unknown. Interesting! a connection perhaps who knows.  I have nothing on him at all at the moment. Good luck with your McKinnons cheers from Oz, Vicki
Cannon, King, Cole, Sansom, Heaton, McDonald, McKinnon, Mcqueen, Tape, Gash

Offline Homebody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki:

Thanks for your reply.  Thank goodness there are McKinnon's out there.  It's nice to hear from all of you, hopefully someday there will be a common relative.

There are a lot of McKinnon's in Ontario, the biggest areas of immigrants in the early years seemed to come to Grey County, which is in the Lake Huron, Georgian Bay area in sort of central Ontario.  The other area was at the east end of Ontario near the St. Lawrence River and Quebec in the area stretching from Glengarry to Frontenac.

I am located in the area called south-western Ontario about 100 kms. from Niagara Falls.  Larger numbers of Scots emigrated to the Maritimes, especially Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island.  Lots of McKinnon's down  there, mostly from Skye and Argyll, a few from Barra, but sadly not related to mine.

Samevans1945 from P.E.I.  also has MacKinnon's, but not related unfortunately.  It's still great to hear from all of you though.

Who knows, maybe once I get past my personal brick-wall we may have a connection after all.

Thanks again:
Lois 
McKinnon/McNeil/McIntyre? - Barra   Drysdale/Smart - Clackmannon/Stirling  Foxford/Strong/Tarring - Plymouth/Devon

Offline justanotherbody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 October 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
I also am looking for McKinnons.  My group appears to come from Ontario into Michigan in the very late 1800's.  John H. McKinnon  (m. Ellen St. Onge), besides his VERY common first name has listed both his parents as Canadian born but I have no further infomation.

I did inherit some information stating that his father was David McKinnon and mother Julia Lament but this can not be verified anywhere.

If you happen to have any information on my side of the family, I would very much appreciate it.

Offline Homebody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 October 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Justanotherbody:

I know exactly how you feel,  my McKinnon's had three brothers all named John in one spelling or another (Johnathan, John, Jonny).  Extremely frustrating.  I could only find one of them, and that was only because I found his obituary totally by surprise.

Do you have any dates to go along with those names, or a hint of location in Ontario?  If so, I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.  Where in Michigan did they end up?

I had many relatives in the McKinnon's around 1900 that migrated to Michigan, Detroit in particular, where some of their decendants are still.

Regards:
Lois
McKinnon/McNeil/McIntyre? - Barra   Drysdale/Smart - Clackmannon/Stirling  Foxford/Strong/Tarring - Plymouth/Devon

Offline justanotherbody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 October 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
My McKinnons are in Alpena county Michigan... 

dates:

John b. c.1877

m. 1896 to Ellen St. Onge (b.1882)

John H. came over to Michigan in 1889 according to the 1910 census or 1883 according to the 1920 census.  His wife came over in 83 so that could be the reason for that confusion.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Homebody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 October 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Again:

O.K. Keeping my eyes open for you. 

Regards:
Lois