Author Topic: McFarlane Alexander  (Read 2405 times)

Offline miildredmartha

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFarlane Alexander
« on: Thursday 10 April 08 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I have an Alexander McFarlane who may have been my husbands Grand father .....  born c 1856  (he was but who)
but as Alexander never married his Grannie Lydia Ann Walker Carson  in Glasgow I am in a Bit of dilemma .
1901 Glasgow Census gives the as man and wife with two children  Kate McFarlane born  88  Alexander McFarlane and 7yrs.
Would I be rite in Thinking that the Census  Enumerator of 1901 !
may have heard Ireland instead of Islands ? because that is were it is said he was born Ireland !
Would Sutherland be thought of as Highlands >?
His Death Cert sept 1927 in Glasgow
Says his Father was Hugh McFarlane Drover and Mary Cameron   and this is the sticking point....
The  person I was chasing up in Assynt lost his mother in 1864 but she was Mary Lamont daughter of Angus LAMONT School teacher and Margaret  Cameron  died 1841  at the birth of her son Joseph Lamont....1841
both women died more or less at the birth of children,
On Census's Angus Lamont  Is widowed
 but goes on to  goes on to marry Ann McLeod in Assynt and has further children
 maybe  it sounded a bit vague to Lydia when she reported his death IE his parentage and mistook the mothers name or maybe Alexander didn't really know as he was so young .
Hugh McFarlane with brother John  nephew John Turner born Glasgow , also Alexander were in the 81 census   John and Hugh Retired  seamen .
wold or could he have gone on to be a drover please?.
Thats about it
Any help please ?
MM
Alexander never had a Irish Accent by the way .
abbott jones roberts i Wales  lennox mcmeekan   aiken Dunn  Carson Andeson  In Ireland
lee Carter Mathews Potter Martin Edwards  Hampshire and surrey

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Alexander
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 April 08 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mildred Martha,

cannot recall if we have exchanged emails before, but I have some data on the family you are looking at, much from researches of descendant Mary McFarlane. Angus Lamont was in the 1841 census at Altandhu in Coigach, Lochbroom, the area south of Assynt.

You can see the annotated transcription of the Household at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/n41altan.htm#10

All the best,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.