Author Topic: koppleman or coppleman that is the question i cant find my pops family  (Read 1569 times)

Offline kean6tgenwebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Firstly i was wondering if i have chosen the right place to post this tread... I an looking fro information on my family.My Grandfather fought as a GERMAN ANZAC in the first world war.but i am having trouble getting any real or HELPFUL info on him and his family.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE.

HERBERT CYLAS(SILAS) JOHN COPPLEMAN(KOPPLEMAN)
BORN 17/7/1895 (also unsure)
DIED 25/9/1930 (i have the death certif)
he fought in the war with his brother and his father.There may also be more but there is not enough facts to be sure...
Acording to the book GERMAN ANZACS there is no real information on any of the family because the records are not accurate!!! and to make matters worse we have a family bible  (how is that worse you say?) we the information in it is only half filled out too.
NOW pop(HERBERT) had 4 marriages
1(Hannah biatria Belcher)
2(Ethel Terarsea May Gueria)
3(Sylvia Clarice Buerdon)
and lastly my Nana
4(Sylvia Palmer)
The spelling is a little iffy as the names have been taken from written word in our bible.
 To any one willing to help Thanks in advance because this one is a twister.

Regard Samantha

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: koppleman or coppleman that is the question i cant find my pops family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Samantha

Could you please fill us in regarding locations please? I am guessing Australia or NZ  since he was an ANZAC -soldier? Where did he enlist?

Where was he born?
Where did he die?
What was his parents and siblings names - as far as you are able to acertain?
Where did he marry and - do you you know when (for each marriage?)

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Ken MacLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
Samantha,

Ooops! Duplicate post.

Offline Ken MacLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Samantha,

The National Archives of Australia has digitized the records of all those enlisted during WW1. Your man's record is located under COPPLEMAN (fourty pages).

He attested to the 40th Battalion at Claremont, Tasmania on 20 June 1916 and was returned to Australia from France in March 1918 after it was discovered that he had fibbed his age when joining up, and was in fact not yet 16 years old in September 1917 after being wounded twice and suffering shell-shock. Correspondence in his file states actual birthdate as 18 December, 1901.

There are several other WW1 and WW2 Coppleman/Koppleman records digitized.

The NA site does not appear to allow direct linking to a particular record so you will have to "go in through the front door" to view the record.

At the NA Australia home page select 'Record Search' from the 'Collections' drop-down menu, then click on 'Search Now as a guest' then enter the surname in the 'Keyword' search block. Records available for viewing have a coloured icon beside them.

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Offline kean6tgenwebb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 08 02:34 BST (UK) »
update!!

Thankyou fro your referrals.....
I now have a birth and death date for Herbert Coppleman.
i will provide these details....
His birth records are as follows
Name Herbert John Koppleman
Father Frederick Koppleman
Mother Mary Louisa Koppleman Nee Jones
Place Hobart Tasmania
Date 19 July 1895

There are still some pieces missing and incorrect with ww1 records as to dates and spelling.

As far as i can see from reading both Herbert and his father Fredericks ww1 records there is some problem with another person using Herbert's identity to go to war.(this would be his brother??)
This then leaves me with the uncertainty of weather it was my grandfather or my uncle that served in the war??? If anyone can find anymore info regarding this post please.
I know also that when POP (Herbert) died my Nana could not get a war pension because of the mix up with the above...

OK now with all of that said.. The young man that was sent home underage could not have been Herbert as he would have been 23 years old in 1918! not the 15 years that this man was!!

Herbert coppleman died30/7/1962 age at this date was 67 so the birth date checks out.And we now know that my mums maiden name is Koppleman Not Coppleman... But still there is more to find on this family like why was my  Great Grand Father(FREDERICK) born at sea between England and Tasmania. Where did his parents come from and why did they leave?? WOW!!