Author Topic: William Hall, gamekeeper, St Mary's Borough/Burgh St margaret  (Read 1115 times)

Offline boumboum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Hall, gamekeeper, St Mary's Borough/Burgh St margaret
« on: Saturday 15 January 05 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm now looking for William Hall, gamekeeper in the borough of St Margaret's, Norfolk - this from my Jacob Hall (b 1834 Yarmouth)'s marriage certificate. I guess he's born around 1800, but no access to records that
far back - would SKS be able to help, please?

I've checked on Ancestry.com, but there are many William Halls - I need to fine tune a bit, don't know where to start. I did find a William marrying Mary Yarman in Burgh St Margaret's 1820, don't know if that's the same one
or not - if they went on to have Jacob, then I have some idea..

Thanks very much

Amanda Pickering
Penzance

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Hall, gamekeeper, St Mary's Borough/Burgh St margaret
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 05 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda

As you are not sure of your William HALL's birthdate, I am assuming that the address of St Margaret's, Norfolk is from the marriage certificate of his son Jacob HALL.  If this is the case then it is Jacob's address - not necessarily William's.

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest that you locate your Jacob in all the available census returns (back to 1841).  Hopefully, this should show Jacob with his parents at some time.

Then, perhaps you can try and locate a baptism for Jacob along with that of any siblings. Then, and only then, would I suggest looking for William - first his marriage and then his baptism.  Hopefully, in the meantime, you might find his birthplace from the 1851 census which will give you some idea of where to look.

It really is necessary to check and double check everything in tracing your family tree - there's no point whatsoever climbing the wrong tree and there is a great danger of doing that if you don't have the other information first.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 19:47 GMT (UK) »
a 20 year old Jacob was living as a lodger with Charles Hall in Burgh.

There was a William & Mary who had a daughter Jane and a grandson (surname Lincoln) in the 1851 census for Norwich and William was born in Flagg (sic).

It would be better to confirm Jacob's parents if you can.  The marriage certificate says William?  Later census says he was born where?  Any other family members?  Siblings?  With a name like Hall, it is very important to back up your census info with other info.

Best of luck

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline boumboum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both of you, for replying. I'm a bit confused by your answers, probably because I wasn't clear enough!

I know from the 1871 that Jacob William Hall was born in 1834 in Yarmouth, Norfolk.

I know from Jacob's marriage certificate (1858 Devonport) that his father was William, gamekeeper at Burgh St Margaret's, Norfolk. At the time of the wedding, Jacob himself was resident in Devonport, not Norfolk.

Could you please advise where I can access census records for 1841 or 1851 for Norfolk, so I can pursue the leads you've offered?

Thanks very much

Amanda

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 05 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The census for Norfolk in 1851 has been indexed by LDS and is available on cd.  It is also available on fische.

The 1841 census is available on a set of cd but it is not indexed and is very poor in part.  This set is available from various places but I have a set from Stepping Stones.  The 1841 census and all other Norfolk census are available to view in the Forum in Norwich.  They are on film to 1881 and fische for 1891/1901.

The index needs checking against the original as it is a transcribed index and can contain mistakes.

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.