Author Topic: Simpson, Low, Nicol, Grant  (Read 12824 times)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson, Low, Nicol, Grant
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Geraldine in Oz,
One set of my GG Grandparents in Forfarshire was James Nicoll (b. Cortachy & Clova) 1814 and Elizabeth Baxter (b. Menmuir) in 1815, who married in Montose in 1841.
Any possible link ?
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline geraldinev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
DDJJAKE  My Nicoll is John Nicoll and Catherine baxter Grant.
John's parents were William Nicoll and Margaret How. They were all born in Forfar, Angus.
See we have a  James born 1812.  But have nothing on him.

Geraldine

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Geraldine
We each have Nicoll folks in Cortachy and Clova in the 1700s.
I go back to the marriage of James Nicoll (Farmer) b. Dec 1740 who married Mary Addison (b. Mar 1747) in C & C in  Dec 1770.
I also have William Baxter b. 1803 Menmuir m. in Brechin 1831 to an Agnes Grant b. Aberlemno 1802.
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline geraldinev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
We havent been able to go back that far yet. 

Still trying to get around this one and also another line.
Geraldine

Offline Lady_Donnington

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • In search of my past and present
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 February 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, was searching for some information on one of my ancestors and came across this forum posting and I may be able to help with some info here too.
Nicoll's my family and we've got a fair distance back (well c1740 to Griffith and and Mathilda Carey).

We have Frederick and Catherine down. Frederick is my 2nd great granduncle!
So, seeing a few people had replied to this saying they had information and can link - am curious to see where they link in too.

Census info up there is gold dust! thanks for posting that! :)
Scotland - Dundee / Arbroath. Canada - Winnepego / UK - Birmingham
Scotland: Nicoll, Boyack, Barrie, Carey, Stroner, Low, Greer, Shands, Kennedy, Boyd, Moodie (Moody?), Galloway, Taylor, Winter, Dundas, Cathro, Stormont, Gellatly
Ireland / Scotland - Muir,
England - Birmingham - Hill, Stevens, Mohamed,

Offline geraldinev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 February 11 01:46 GMT (UK) »
DDJJake,   I have been going through the Nicoll tree and see where you are talking about Agnes and William Baxter.
Do you have Agnes as the daughter of David Grant and Jean Tindall.

We have Catherine Baxter Grant, born 1817 and that is my realation.  There seems to be a big gap in ages with the family.

We wondered where the Baxter came from but don't think from Agnes as she was not married to William when she was born.
The name Catherine Baxter Grant  (Colville)was also my grandmother's name and she used it all the time.
So there is a connection with us.  Sorry for the late reply.
Geraldine

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 February 11 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geraldine,
My Agnes Grant [of unregisterd birth on GRO] who married William Baxter in 1831 ... and your Catherine Grant [of unregistered birth on GRO] who married, per GRO image, as plain Catherine Grant, John Nichol (Nicoll) in 1837 both had the parents David Grant and Jean (Jane) Tyndal (Tindall) The middle name Baxter does not appear until Catherine and John Nicoll had their sixth child - Catherine Baxter Nicoll in 1848. This Catherine Baxter Nicoll may have died young as she does not appear in the 1861 Census with mother Catherine and father John ... or may have been with other relations or as a servant as a 12 year old during the 1861 Census
But Helen Nicoll is born as child number ten to Catherine and John in 1859, her mother named as Catherine Baxter Grant ... and on John Nicoll's death registration in 1882 his widow is again named as Catherine Baxter Grant by informant son John Nicoll [born 1846]. But Catherine is again, plain Catherine (Grant) Nicoll on her death registration by grandson Andrew in 1892. It may be that Catherine and John had a good friend or cousin called Catherine Baxter and named child number six after her ? N.B. A Catherine Baxter born in 1833 to William Baxter's brother James would be a 'sort-of' cousin-in-law of your Catherine Grant. B.T.W. John and Catherine Grant's Janet Nicoll b. 1838, had at least one illegitimate child, Janett in 1857. I have not investigated the origins of the additional grandchildren Andrew and George who appear in the 1881 Census !
You and I are not related as I descend from Baxter and you from Grant  .. a pity.
Aye
John... son of James Nicoll Kerr Henderson [1908-1989]
PS
I will PM you with my e-mail as I have Catherine's Death certificate and her 1837 Parish Marriage certificate.
JH
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline Linzi86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm related to the Nicol's of Tannadice (David born 1874 was my great great Grandfather- his parents were John Nicol & Jemima Duke) just done a little research myself if I can be of any help please let me know