Author Topic: Contacting Unsuspecting Living Descendants.  (Read 3528 times)

Offline martha

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Contacting Unsuspecting Living Descendants.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 February 05 04:01 GMT (UK) »
The suggestion of sending copies of pictures with a follow up letter is a very good idea.  I recently had an email from a descendent of my great grandmother's brother.  I had been looking for cousins from her large family, putting out queries for years and never a bite.  I emailed back to him with a lot of information, I'd had more luck tracing back than forward, but he's never replied.  I have his address in Salisbury and think now I'll follow up with snail mail and a picture that includes my grandmother and the one brother who came to the US.  I'll try anything.  Thanks for sharing.

A year ago I found my half brother's resume on Google.  Our father had kept his two families apart, but I finally sent my carefully composed letter.  We met last June and he and his wife, though living on the other side of  the continent, are my soul kin, dear, wonderful people.  I've also connected with one of my half sisters, one more to go, now living in London.  You just never know!

EVERETT, WOOTTON, BLAKE, MARTIN, CUZNER, ROBERTS, ADLAM, BIRD
WILTSHIRE 19th CENTURY

Offline martha

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 February 05 04:03 GMT (UK) »
The suggestion of sending copies of pictures with a follow up letter is a very good idea.  I recently had an email from a descendent of my great grandmother's brother.  I had been looking for cousins from her large family, putting out queries for years and never a bite.  I emailed back to him with a lot of information, I'd had more luck tracing back than forward, but he's never replied.  I have his address in Salisbury and think now I'll follow up with snail mail and a picture that includes my grandmother and the one brother who came to the US.  I'll try anything.  Thanks for sharing.

A year ago I found my half brother's resume on Google.  Our father had kept his two families apart, but I finally sent my carefully composed letter.  We met last June and he and his wife, though living on the other side of  the continent, are my soul kin, dear, wonderful people.  I've also connected with one of my half sisters, one more to go, now living in London.  You just never know!

EVERETT, WOOTTON, BLAKE, MARTIN, CUZNER, ROBERTS, ADLAM, BIRD
WILTSHIRE 19th CENTURY

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 February 05 17:32 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather left his wife and children in 1961 to start a new life in New Zealand, he never came back to visit, and as a consequence my father, sadly, knew little of his fathers family.

It wasn't until i mentioned at a family part that I was researching the family history that my aunt mentioned my grandfathers brother was still alive, living in Kent.

It took a great deal of thinking about, but curiousity got the better of me and I wrote him a very nice polite letter, asking him if he would be interested in sharing his memories with me. That letter was the best thing I have  ever done.

The amount of information this great uncle has given me is wonderful but it cannot compare to the friendship we have discovered due to letters and phonecalls.

Go for it, the benefits outwiegh the risks!

Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham