Author Topic: Houghton Conquest Marriage - ARMSTRONG  (Read 2088 times)

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Houghton Conquest Marriage - ARMSTRONG
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
I now have just one loose end in the tracking of the "posh" Armstrongs from Thomas Armstrong of Stonestown  and Frances Thompson.

Charles Armstrong b 1712 was their son. He married at least three times. He had one son named Charles by second wife Althamia Priaulx in 1750, b Steppingley. It is probable that this Charles was buried in Ampthill in 1751. Burkes and an Armstrong family history written in 1775 say that all the children of Charles and Althamia Priaulx died in infancy.

Charles 1712 last married in 1759 Mary Barton of Grafham, Hunts, with whom he also had a pre-marital affair. They had several legitimate children, all baptised in Grafham, whom I have identified with the help of the nice folk at Hunts record office.

He also mentions in his will "Charles Armstrong alias Barton" one of the sons of his wife Mary, to whom he leaves the residue of the proceeds of the disposal of his Grafham estate. Wife Mary (also an executor) is to retain possession of his Houghton Conquest lands and other lands in Grafham on behalf of their sons John and Philip.

There is no baptism in Grafham for a Charles Armstrong or Barton between 1750 and 1780.

In Feb 1783 a Charles Armstrong, yeoman of Houghton Conquest aged (or possibly over) 21, applied for a marriage licence to wed Sarah Larkins or Larkinson. This appears on Ancestry as one of the "Shotley Taxpayers". Another 1783 Houghton Conquest "Shotley Taxpayer" is Althamia Armstrong, a minor and seemingly daughter of Mary Armstrong, who was to marry George Townsend. She did, on 27 Apr 1783.

The Armstrong/Larkinson marriage is on the IGI as an extraction as follows:
CHAS ARMSTRONG
  Marriages:
  Spouse:  SAR LARKINSON OR LARKIN 
  Marriage:  25 MAY 1783   Houghton Conquest, Bedford, England

Would some kind soul look up the original marriage record for me and see if there is any additional information given? I am particularly interested in the age and/or parentage of Charles Armstrong, which would help establish whose son he was - or alternatively, was not!

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help

Wendy

Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Houghton Conquest Marriage - ARMSTRONG
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,

The marriage entry in the Houghton Conquest PR just states Charles Armstrong to Sarah Larkinson, signs Larkin; by licence

The marriage licence index shows
A157 Chas Armstrong, yeoman of Houghton Conquest, aged 21 & over, licence dated Feb 1 1783
to marry L33 Sarah Larkin of Houghton Conquest
surety given by B261 Stephen Bond, dairyman of Biddenham

The other Armstrong marriage entry states George Townsend of Wrestlingworth to Attemire Armstrong, signs Atimear.

The marriage licence index shows
A156 Attemira Armstrong, daughter of Mary of Houghton Conquest, minor
to marry T149 George Townsend of Wrestlingworth, aged 21 & over
surety given by A72 Thomas Allchin, gardener of Harefield, Middlesex
& by A158 Mary Armstrong

Regards John   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks, John

I didn't hold out much hope for the marriage record, but the licence application when seen in its original form - rather than Ancestry's garbled version - does say he was "21 and over". Ancestry just says 21.

Which doesn't help enormously in establishing which Charles Armstrong he was, but does mean that he could have been of any age, so leaves it open.

Also, for Althamia's marriage, I couldn't find the name of the bondsman, ref A72, on the Ancestry "Shotley Taxpayer" record, so that also is useful. I wonder what a gardener from Harefield was doing standing bond for a young girl in Houghton Conquest?

Best
Wendy

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 May 08 01:07 BST (UK) »
wendy

It might be worth gathering in the Wills>  Wilstead ones as well - pre 19th C [if that is where your interest lies]

Beds Archives is the best place - but also UK National Archives online?

cath
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, Cathy. I have all the relevant wills I can find for the Houghton Conquest/Ampthill Armstrongs, including the will of Frances Thompson Armstrong, Charles Armstrong b 1712, John Armstrong b 1766 and Charles Armstrong b 1783.

I don't think there can be much doubt that the Charles Armstrong who married Sarah Larkinson was a son of Charles 1712.

Unless he was a completely new incomer to the county with his roots elsewhere, which is always a possibility. However, he named his children with family names, including Charles for his first son and Aolti Mira (another corruption of Althamia) for his first daughter, so this seems unlikely.

What I was trying to establish was whether he was Charles b 1750 to Charles 1712 and Althamia Priaulx (all of whose children allegedly died in infancy) or whether he was the Charles Armstrong alias Barton who is mentioned in Charles 1712's will as one of the sons of Mary his third wife, and was probably born in 1758-ish in Grafham, before their marriage, during their period of "fornication" (Mary had to do penance for said fornication!) 

It seems one of those conundrums for which there is no resolution, as there is no indication anywhere of the age of the Charles Armstrong who married Sarah Larkinson, other than that he was over 21 when he applied for the marriage licence. There is no age on his probable burial entry in the NBI in 1800. If a birth year of around 1758 could be deduced, then that would be the answer, but it just doesn't seem possible from the information that can be gleaned.

The only clues are inconclusive -

1. He moved to Grafham with Sarah some time after the baptism of their eldest son Charles in HC in 1785, and they both were buried there; the move could be coincident with the death of Philip Armstrong in 1787 in Graffham. Said Philip had been left a farm in Graffham by his father Charles 1712, which was to remain in the possession of his morther Mary until he came of age. On his apparent death (in the NBI) whilst under age, the farm would have remained in the possession of his mother Mary. As John was well provided for with all the HC lands, Mary may well have handed over the Grafham lands to her son Charles.

2. Sarah's age at death in 1836 was 77, placing her birth year as 1759. IF they were about the same age, that would make a 1758/1759 birth for him possible. However, he died years before her in 1800, so could well have been older.

However, having now exhausted all lines of enquiry, I think I will abandon this one! My aim in tracing the "posh" Armstrongs was to see if there is any connection between them and my Armstrong family who originated in Riseley and seem to have seeded half of Bedfordshire with Ag Labs. There is no family relationship that I have been able to find.

The only documented link is that William of Haynes is mentioned as an executor and trustee in the will of John 1766. This link is probably because of the Ampthill Wesleyan chapel where they both baptised their children, and of which William was a warden. The other executor/trustee was Charles of Wootton, John's nephew.

There are other links via juxtaposition - e.g. members of the Wilstead/Goldington family ending up farming cheek by jowl with members of the Ampthill family - but nothing concrete.

No more to be done, methinks.