Author Topic: COMPLETED What do you think?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED What do you think?
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
In trying to find parents for my g-g-grandad Thomas Roper b: Irvinestown, Fermanagh 1810 I have come to a full stop.  However I did find him shown in the 1821 census for Derryvullen with his grandparents David Trotter (72), Catherine (59) uncles George (29) William (16) and Alexander (13) and aunt Catherine (22), so it appears that his mother is either an unmarried mother or a Trotter daughter married to a Roper or is maybe dead, but I can find nothing to substantiate this. 
I have found a marriage for David Trotter & Catherine Allan in Airth Scotland (26/6/1798) which I would say is the one I was looking for and I can find a birth for Catherine but none for David in 1749 which would be his birth year according to his age on the 1821 census.  However I did find a birth for a David Trotter (26/2/1756) parents Thomas & Charlotte Knox m: 24/9/1749 and also a brother John (10/2/1758), but this age would make him 63 in 1821 - nearer to Cath's age. 
I have also found David's name on the 1788 & 1798 Poll of Electors - both showing Lowtherstown and on the 1796 Ulster Covenant: David - Lowtherstown, Derryvullen and John - Muckrafs? - Drumkeeran.  I have also found John Trotter on the 1796 Flax Growers (2 spinning wheels).
There is a big gap between the David and Catherine's marriage (1789) to George (1792) and Catherine (1799) and the two younger sons are closer to Thomas Roper (1810).  William (1805) and Alexlander (1808) and on a gedcom file I also have a Jane Trotter b: 1804 - parents David and Catherine.
I also have a bit more information on Catherine Trotter in the 1841 Scotland census which shows a Jean S Trotter (44) a Catherine Trotter (42 which agrees with the age on the 1821 census) both born Midlothian and of Independent means, plus a Laura Ann (20) also of independent means but with the notation 'born outside census country 1841'.
I would like opinions as to whether I should go on pursuing this avenue as I only went after the Trotters to see if I could find my g-g-grandad's parents.
Kind regards
Bev

MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!