Author Topic: Lisbon 1813 Napoleonic war ?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Morganatoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lisbon 1813 Napoleonic war ?
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
An ancestor was born in Lisbon, Portugal in 1813 (according to later censuses ). Someone said his father may have been fighting  in the peninsular wars there at that time. All I have is his name Sam Broadbent, but no idea where to go from there. I'd love to find his parents but without more info I am at a dead end.
He did return to Oldham, Lancs (as shown on the census, and he is now married to a local girl) but that is all I have.

Any ideas where I can find out more info ?
Thanks

Margaret
Pounder, Daltry, Broadbent, Cooper, Stevenson, Buckley, Shaw,Stobbs, Wrigley Walker

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lisbon 1813 Napoleonic war ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:00 BST (UK) »
1. Have you searched the GRO military indexes (available on Findmypast etc).

2. You say he later married (actually you said "he is now married" but I don't think you meant it  ;)). Have you obtained the marriage certificate? What is his father's name shown on the certificate?

Offline Morganatoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:13 BST (UK) »
pharmakon asked

1. Have you searched the GRO military indexes (available on Findmypast etc).

Not subscribed to Findmypast but on previous advice I looked up the consular and chaplains birth records at Manchester Records office. My Sam wasn't there.

2. You say he later married (actually you said "he is now married" but I don't think you meant it  ).

ROFL !!

2.Have you obtained the marriage certificate? What is his father's name shown on the certificate?

No certificate- if I had that it would be easier but how does one obtain one of those with only "born Lisbon, Portugal" on a census to go on ? Is there a similar records office to ours in Portugal ? And would it have a record at that time of what I am presuming to be a British military birth ? (I am new at this and don't know:)

Margaret
Pounder, Daltry, Broadbent, Cooper, Stevenson, Buckley, Shaw,Stobbs, Wrigley Walker

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
On the MGS medal roll there's a Samuel Broadbent in the 27th Foot (clasp for Egypt). The only match

This doesn't place him in the Peninsular but equally doesn't mean he wasn't.
Certainly a possible.

No certificate- if I had that it would be easier but how does one obtain one of those with only "born Lisbon, Portugal" on a census to go on ? Is there a similar records office to ours in Portugal ? And would it have a record at that time of what I am presuming to be a British military birth ? (I am new at this and don't know:)

British army births abroad are registered in the GRO regimental birth indices and others. So British records. They're searchable on FindMyPast.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Morganatoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil but Sam is the *child* - born 1813. I can't find a record of his birth, info only from subsequent censuses. It is his father's reason for being in Lisbon at that time that makes me presume he was in the army. Maybe his Dad was another Sam....

M

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
So you don't know the father's name.

1. Have a look through the National Archives catalogue, series code = WO 97; word or phrase = Broadbent. About 20 records will come up. See if there's a name that looks likely (eg Jonathan Broadbent, born Oldham)

2. You said Samuel married in Oldham. Why can't you get that certificate (or equivalent if before 1837)?

Offline Morganatoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pharmakon. The Nat Archives looks interesting.

I do have son Samuel's marriage parish record-actually married in 1833 at St Michael's Ashton under Lyne (about 4 miles away) from Oldham  but unfortunately the only names on it are him and wife Elizabeth's. It would have been much easier if the parents/fathers had been named.

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
...unfortunately the only names on it are him and wife Elizabeth's.

So the names of the witnesses were no help?

Offline Morganatoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
No pharmakon, the witnesses are the same on all the other records there so I presume they must have been clerks or similar. When I get some time I will investigate the Nat Archives names tho. Thanks.

Margaret