Author Topic: Rowland Stephens - marriage  (Read 2500 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Rowland Stephens - marriage
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm into the realms of mystery for me!

I would really appreciate info, if there is any, on the marriage of Rowland Stephens (various spellings found!) to Ann.

He came from the Burghill area, I believe, but children seem to have been born Hentland/Harewood End (?).  The first child (Eliza) was christened and died in 1824.  I have Rowland in 1841 (I think) HO107, Piece 433, Book 2, Folio 22, Page 11, but it would appear that Ann has passed away by then, as there is no trace of her.  Nothing concrete to be found in the formal registers. (Although with so many variations in the spellings I can't be sure I've looked for them all  :-\ ).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Julie

Note: edited to correct typo re death!
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The snooper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland Stephens - marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
Two Ann STEPHENS deaths registered in Herefordshire before the 1841 census as follows:

Date of Death   Age            Place 
26/02/1839    63      ABBEYDORE
28/04/1840    38      ALL SAINTS

Second one looks most likely

Best of luck

The Snooper

Surnames being researched
FLORIDA/ANSTEE - Anywhere in UK,
YOUNG - Somerset and S Wales,
CLUCAS - IoM  and London,
BROOKS - Somerset and London,
MOULD - Northants,
EVEREST - Sussex,
CHARLES - S Wales,
CROSBY - London,
JAQUES - York,
FLETCHER - Welsh borders,
MAGGS - Somerset,
LAWRENCE- Pembroke,
PREECE - Herefordshire,
TAUBMAN - IoM,
CRIDLAND - Somerset,
BENGOUGH - Herefordshire,
BARTRAM - Notts and Sheffield

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you the snooper, that certainly looks a likely bet.  Now to decide on my priorities as to the next certificate I buy....Mrs Stephens or Mr & Mrs Williams...aah, decisions, decisions!  ;D

(Note to self - Must now look at the boards/t'internet to see if the death certs at that time had any really useful info...haven't bought any death certs from that early before  :-\)

Thanks again

Julie
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alandmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
hello

Julie

sorry to drop in like this but i stumbled into your post dated july 2005 in ref to a search for Hannah, 1841/51 cencus. If this was, as i suspect, your ancestor then i can advise she was also an ancestor of mine by way of William and George, the brother of Hannah. If so, could you reply to my request.

regards

Alan