Author Topic: Infant death - is it possible to have the death registered but not the birth?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello  :)

I have a death record of a Charlotte Cookson OND 1886 aged 30 in Preston but also registered the same quarter is a Charlotte Elizabeth Cookson. She is registered as age 0 at death and with the same reference number as the older Charlotte Cookson. Is it possible that Charlotte died in childbirth or gave birth early to a stillborn child and then died herself and that this child is hers? There is no record (that I can see on FreeBMD or Ancestry) of a Charlotte Elizabeth being born that year though. It would follow as she had had children in 1880, 1882 and 1884. I can't see any baptism record on the IGI either (not that that means anything of course).
I just wondered if stillborn children were still dealt with in the same way as a child who was born alive but died shortly afterwards?

Thanks
Sharon
TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Infant death - is it possible to have the death registered but not the birth?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for a birth in 1885? Age '0' means child was under 1 year but could have been born in previous year.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Infant death - is it possible to have the death registered but not the birth?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry I meant to say I have checked for possible births then as well although I haven't trawled the register as yet, I've only used FreeBMD but for the area I'm looking at it is mostly completed. I just wanted to know really if it is likely that this is her child.

Sharon
TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Infant death - is it possible to have the death registered but not the birth
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 08 16:43 BST (UK) »
She could be registered as an unnamed female under the Cookson surname have you tried that?

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Infant death - is it possible to have the death registered but not the birth
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
They must have gone together - surely- to have exactly the same reference. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
There is a Charlotte Cookson birth same quarter

Dec 1886 Blackburn 8e 374

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 April 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
The death was in Preston though and the whole family lived and were born in Preston so would find it unusual if that were the entry that matched the death record I found, although I know its not totally impossible. Would have to look on 1891 census in Blackburn to see if that Catherine were still living I suppose.

Sharon

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
You could always try contacting the local register office for the child's death certificate but specify that you only want it if the mum is called Charlotte and the father whatever he would have been.  They will not charge if it is not the right parents.
Andrea

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 April 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at the scanned images on FreeBMD (ie the printed GRO indices not the search results) - there is only Charlotte Cookson listed (age 30 etc), that I could see, not Charlotte Elizabeth - is this a transcriptions error or do I need to get my eyes checked?