Author Topic: NIGHTINGALE TWINS  (Read 3035 times)

Offline dorbrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NIGHTINGALE TWINS
« on: Saturday 15 January 05 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am new to this list, so hope I have come to the right place?  Can someone help me please regarding my 3xgt Grandparents.  The following is what I know.

Twin girls MARY ANNA NIGHTINGALE and ESTHER STORRY NIGHTINGALE were born 4th July 1815 to JOHN READ NIGHTINGALE and MARY NIGHTINGALE. They were baptised 27th July St Johns Portsea. PCRO CHU5/1A/3.

I have been told that John Nightingale was a sailor, but unfortunately I am not sure what ship he was on.  The people who gave me the information originally said he was on HMS NELSON. He wasnt on this ship, but another ship that was a similar spelling to the NELSON.  Can anyone help me to find out please just what ship he was on.  Does anyone have sight of the birth or baptism records for this time?  Abode was given as Frederick Street.  I have been searching for this information for such a long time, and I have no idea what happened to John and Mary after this time. If I can find out what ship he was on, then I can maybe get more information.

Many thanks

Dor

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NIGHTINGALE TWINS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 05 22:24 GMT (UK) »
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Portsmouth Record Office may well be able to supply you with a copy of the entry in the register, but there is no guarantee that it will give the name of the ship.  Sailors might serve on a number of ships.  If I remember rightly, Frederick Street was right near the dockyard in Portsea.  St John was a chapel of ease for St. Mary's, the parish church at that time.

http://www.portsmouthrecordsoffice.co.uk/

Good luck.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorbrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Nell.  Apparantly it did give the name of the ship, which looked like HMS Nelson.  But when the people who told me about it looked again, they said it could be Weston or something like that, as they couldnt read it properly. I thought if someone else got sight of it, they might be able to decipher it!! I live in Lancashire, so difficult for me to get to Hampshire.  I am really impressed with your prompt reply.  I will keep my fingers crossed that someone will have sight of the baptism or birth record.

Dorx

Offline dorbrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janan

Many thanks for your prompt reply and website addresses.  I did go to Kew when I thought John Nightingale was on HMS Nelson, I searched through all the muster books and he wasnt there. It was only when I got back that the people who had given me the information said it wasnt HMS Nelson after all, but looked something like that name!!

Best wishes
Dor

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

You could try ordering the film at a Family History Centre near you - do you have one nearby?  Easier than going to Hampshire.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorbrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Nell

Many thanks.  I sent an e-mail to Portsmouth Records office and they are going to send me a copy of the twins birth.

Best wishes

Dor