Author Topic: Lookups forJoseph Wiseman on Scottish Census  (Read 13319 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lookups forJoseph Wiseman on Scottish Census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 09:21 BST (UK) »
This looks a likely birth entry for him:

Births July-Sep 1878 
Wiseman    Edward        Chelsea    1a   303

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Thank you for your reply on Edward.

Now if I could only find a connection for Edward to the Wiseman family in Moray then I would know if I have the

right family. May never know without more information on Edward.

Thank you again for your help.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
living at ;village of sachuberg
civil parish; bellie
county; moray.
i only have ancestry so cannot see the original image to check whether it has been transcribed correctly.

It certainly hasn't! 'sachuberg' is a very creative transcription for Fochabers. I've seen a few weird versions, but that beats the rest into a cocked hat.

FreeCen has a better transcription http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Edward Wiseman    82 (?), head, Mirseyman Leedsmante House (for occupation?!), b. Elgin
Elizabeth Wiseman 29, wife, b. Inveravon, Banff
Edward A Wiseman 6, b. Elgin
Elizabeth C Wiseman 5, b. Elgin
William Wiseman 2, b. Elgin
Henry J Wiseman 5 Mos, b. Elgin
Elizabeth Wilson 19, servant
Address: Scottsbank, Elgin, Moray

This Wiseman family is one of mine. Edward Alexander Wiseman was born in 1884, married Jane Ann McBean in 1917 and died in 1951, all in Elgin. So you can definitely cross him off your list of possibles.

Incidentally Edward Sr was 32, not 82, and the mistranscribed occupation should read Nurseryman, Seedsman and Florist.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 23:46 BST (UK) »
There is a 22 yrs old (b. 1879) Edward at home with family in Fulham London.

The same family is in Fulham in 1881. Father John, bootmaker, born Norfolk 1834/5, children including Edward, 2, born Chelsea.

If your Edward was aged 31 when he travelled in 1907, that suggests a birth date in 1875/6.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp tells me that Joseph Wiseman died on 22 February 1876 in the parish of Bellie. His wife Margaret Chapman died on 2 September 1878. In the same grave are his son Joseph who died on 22 April 1907; his daughter-in-law Annie Duncan who died on 7 December 1904; his daughter Elizabeth who died on 14 November 1865; his grandson William who died on 4 February 1879; and his granddaughter Margaret who died on 13 March 1866.

If you go to Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can download an image of Joseph's death certificate which should tell you the names of his parents.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,

Thank you for the website for Joseph Wiseman and his family.

I have passed it on to the gentelman who I have been helping.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Greetings from a very wet Calgary

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at Edward Wisemans born in England between 1871 and 1881. There were none born in Scotland during that period.

14 Edward Wisemans are in the FreeBMD index of births. Of these, 6 died before 1881. There was another one who died in infancy, but whose birth is not in the index.  The remaining eight, plus two whose births are not in the index, are all in the 1881 census.

1. Born Brentford, 1872/Q1/ in London aged 9
2. Born unknown 1872/3, in London aged 8
3. Born Wetherby 1873/Q3, in Yorkshire aged 7
4. Born Huddersfield 1874/Q1, in Yorkshire aged 7
5. Born Bramley 1875/Q3, in Yorkshire aged 5
6. Born Whitechapel 1876/Q4, in London aged 4
7. Born unknown 1877/8, in Yorkshire aged 3
8. Born Chelsea 1878/Q3, in London aged 2
9. Born Swaffham 1878//Q4, in Norfolk aged 2
10. Born Stockton 1879/Q2, in County Durham aged 2

Assuming that your Edward's date of birth is between 1875 (per ship's passenger list) and 1879 (age in 1911 census) you have six possibles.

The 1901 census lists 7 EWs of this age who are probably as follows
No 2 in London, aged 28, fruiterer, greengrocer and coal merchant
No 3 in Yorkshire, aged 28, grocer's assistant
No 4 in Yorkshire, aged 27, tailor
No 5 in London, aged 25, factory stoker
No 6 in London, aged 25, carman
No 8 in London, aged 22, .... assistant
No 10 in Stockton, aged 22, baker.

No sign of No 1, No 7 or No 9. There are no deaths in the English or Scottish indexes which would account for them and none of them is in Scotland. As your soldier was aged 18 in the 1891 census, he would be No 1 or No 2.

Looking at the occupations seems to strengthen the likelihood that No 8 is indeed yours.

HTH

Offline learmonth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 October 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Found this old message when doing a Google Search. I am researching the Wiseman family for a friend's daughter who is a direct descendant of William Wiseman c Elgin 1 Dec 1827, the father of Edward Wiseman mentioned below.

I am particularly interested in finding out more about Joseph Wiseman, the grandfather of this William Wiseman. Can you help at all Forfarian or anyone else?

Thanks

Edward Wiseman    82 (?), head, Mirseyman Leedsmante House (for occupation?!), b. Elgin
Elizabeth Wiseman 29, wife, b. Inveravon, Banff
Edward A Wiseman 6, b. Elgin
Elizabeth C Wiseman 5, b. Elgin
William Wiseman 2, b. Elgin
Henry J Wiseman 5 Mos, b. Elgin
Elizabeth Wilson 19, servant
Address: Scottsbank, Elgin, Moray

This Wiseman family is one of mine. Edward Alexander Wiseman was born in 1884, married Jane Ann McBean in 1917 and died in 1951, all in Elgin. So you can definitely cross him off your list of possibles.

Incidentally Edward Sr was 32, not 82, and the mistranscribed occupation should read Nurseryman, Seedsman and Florist.
Wiseman in Aberdeenshire, Banff and Moray

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 October 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Found this old message when doing a Google Search. I am researching the Wiseman family for a friend's daughter who is a direct descendant of William Wiseman c Elgin 1 Dec 1827, the father of Edward Wiseman mentioned below.

I am particularly interested in finding out more about Joseph Wiseman, the grandfather of this William Wiseman. Can you help at all Forfarian or anyone else?

Hello Learmonth

My interest in William Wiseman (1827-1879) is because his wife was my second cousin four times removed. Therefore I have not attempted to research his forebears at all.

However I do have access to research carried out some years ago by a direct descendant of William, and I am happy to exchange notes.