Author Topic: Howitts of Underwood & Selston  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Terryjc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Howitts of Underwood & Selston
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 02:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry Suz - have been away for a few weeks.  I would be very grateful if you could spare the time.

Regards Terry
Ireland - Hanning, Ross

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
only sure way is to order all 4.........
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Terryjc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
What you say may be true Larkspur, but I have already expended a large portion of my budget on this shotgun approach and would like reduce the possibilities if I can.

Information from burial records leading to some detail from a gravestone may identify the person more fully than the info on an English death certificate.  I would be more hopeful with a New Zealand death certificate which would show the parents names and the number, sex and age of any living offspring.

Regards, terry
Ireland - Hanning, Ross

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean, can be a problem sometimes with a certificate, my gt gt grandma born 1800 her death in 1848 has her as 54 years old....also my husbands grandmas gravestone has her christian name as Lousie she was Louise. I think in the same situation as you I would order the 2 that died in the Basford district and hope he is one of them. Having said this my gt grandpa lived all his life in one small village in Nottinghamshire but died in Leicester and it was only my father saying he thought he was buried in Leicester that I found his death- he was living with his daughter . Best of luck
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 July 08 01:17 BST (UK) »
If it helps at all
Underwood Jacksdale Westwood Bagthorpe are all in the Parish of Selston and all were within Basford District,
The church in Jacksdale (St Mary's Westwood) was built 1898, the church in Underwood (St Michael All Angels)  in 1890 so I think prior to this all burials must have been at St Helens Selston a Norman Church with a register back to 1540.
I would definitely go with the Basford District deaths - if it not one of these you will be unlucky.
http://www.jacksdale.org.uk

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline TJR Howitt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 September 09 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just found this site. William Howitt and Martha Wilson are my G G Grandparents, and I have got quite a bit on them inc even a photo of Martha and son John aged abt 4. Martha is in Forest Rd cemetary apparently (family lore - safe, but never seen) with son John and some more after him. I found a grave (2 weeks ago) in Selston for William with his wife Mary Anne and have assumed this is him and MA Bowler, as her dates fit, although his dates imply b 3 yrs before the 1841 census implies he was. What I am lacking is a connection above William to his father Henry and before, which would love to get hold of. Are you interested to get any pics, and can you assist with this side of my family?? Tristan

Offline Terryjc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tristan and welcome to Rootschat.

I was looking for a way to resurrect this thread and you have done that for me, and with the graves of William and Mary Ann you have probably also answered my original question which was to discover William’s date of death.  Mary Ann’s birth date would be a bonus.

William was baptised in Selston on 13 Aug 1809.  Don’t worry too much about the 1841 census dates as for that census people were able to round their ages to the nearest 5 years, so instead of appearing as 32 he appears as 30.  The 1851 census gives his age more accurately as 42.

From the 1851 census, the elder Henry, now aged 71 and the owner of 44 acres of land in Underwood, was born in Tibshelf, Derbyshire so you need to go to the church records there (Library or Derby Records Office) to push back further.  I do have some unconfirmed info on this and possibly further back from there into the Selston parish again.

My understanding is that Martha is buried in Church (Rock) Cemetery - Mansfield Road, Nottingham, together with her son John and his wife Sarah Jane, and their son Ralph and daughter Evelyn (Aunt Evie). I have photos of the two headstones for this common gravesite.

Would be very interested in making contact with you.  Rootschat does not permit personal email addresses in postings so we need to use the Rootschat Personal Message system to exchange these, but you have to have at least 3 postings to activate it.  Easily done by responding on this thread a couple of times (or three to be certain).

Regards

Terry
Ireland - Hanning, Ross

Offline TJR Howitt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 September 09 02:21 BST (UK) »
Excellent Terry. Can look me up on Google through the Sea Consortium website. Happy to go either route.

I reckon a good guess would be that Mary Anne died in childbirth, so Henry Bowler Howitts birthdate is probably pretty near? Not found his birthday.

I am assuming your wife is through Henry Howitt line, and I have nothing after he went to NZ, but lots of photos and anecdotes beforehand. I popped over to Selston the other day with my sister when I was in the area, and have photos of JohnHowitt at  the church in 1907 next to the graves. A shame that they have cleared the graves to the perimeter now, as there are many Howitts there from previous generations. Our family lore is that Henry's father was temporarily only in Tibshelf for work - (It's only 12 miles north of Selston), and our roots go back in Selston long before him to about 1644. The local manor was Howitts once - we married in to it, but seemingly squandered the wealth ("improvident and light-hearted squires") over several generations.

Offline Terryjc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 September 09 07:54 BST (UK) »
Tristan

Henry Bowler Howitt was born 13 August 1837 in Greasley, Notts.  He appears as the 3yr old Henry in the 1841 census in the farm at Underwood.  In the same census his sister Rebecca Howitt, born 13 Mar 1836, is to be found with her maternal grandfather John Bowler in Pentrich.

What were the dates on Mary Ann’s and William's graves?

I have to say that most of what I know has come from the many helpful people on this site who have gone out of their way to help this stranger.

I have dropped a message in the PM system for you.  One more post from you (just a simple Hi will do) and you should be able to access it.  The Kiwi logo is a dead giveaway - am tempted to replace it to get some anonimity.

We will talk further about John Howitt (Henry’s father) in his temporary work in Tibshelf where he managed to get married and father three + children all christened there.  How he did all of this and maintained the position of publican in Selston I don’t know.

Terry
Ireland - Hanning, Ross