Author Topic: Harden/Harding totally confused  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harden/Harding totally confused
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 00:59 BST (UK) »
I am completely muddled with this family and wonder if there is someone who can help.

James Harding married to Sarah Rixon 18 Feb 1822 CLEWER (Ex. Rec. from IGI)

Thomas Harden 17May1821 to James Harden and Sarah Rixon HURLEY
Louise Harden 2 Feb 1823 to James Harden and Sarah       HURLEY
Harriet Harden 4 Dec 1824 to James Harden and Sarah       HURLEY
William Harden 17 Sep 1826 to James Harden and Sarah     HURLEY
Ex. Rec. from IGI

By the census of 1841 James is alone with children
Louisa Harding, William Hard(en)ing, Charles Harding, Emma Harding and George Harding.  (All born in Berkshire)

In 1846 James marries Mary Smith  (Free BMD) and she and her two children  are on the 1851 census.  They are Ann Smith born 1831 and Charles Henry Smith born 1842 and are classed as step children of James.  George Harding and William Harding are still at home.  They are living at Moor Hall Cookham and James is a carpenter (probably tied cottage).

I do not know for sure that the Hardens and the Hardings are the same family.
I think that William Harden/Harding marries Emma Tuckwell in 1850 and in 1851 a child is born Alice in Cookham.  In the 1861 census she is found as a pauper in the Cookham Union. 

According to the Cookham Union Births and Deaths there was an illegitimate child born Eleanor Tuckwell in 1843 and another Alice Tuckwell in 1847 who died in 1848 both to Emma Tuckwell born Cookham 1823.
William and Emma married 1850 a second Alice born 1851 (in the Union by 1861) followed by William (aka Henry) Harding born 1854 in the Cookham Union.
Emily 1857 Cookham, William 1860 Cookham and Susan 1860 Cookham.

1861 census James is with Ann Harding and John Harding aged 24 I cannot read whether Ann is James 3rd wife because of the writing.  But it does say James is married.  And in 1871 James and Ann are in Cookham Alms Houses.

By the census of 1871 William is transcribed as Hardney and is with Emily only -  living in East Street Maidenhead.  Cannot findhis wife Emma or other children except Henry who is in the army.  There is a possible death for William junior in 1861 but no sign or Susan.

I really am confused with all of this!  As by now I'm sure you are.  If anyone can clarify anything for me it might get rid of my headache!
Thank you, Abiam

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harden/Harding totally confused
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

just to say that 1861- James and Ann - Ann does have a 'do' under marital status -to ditto James status as married.
John is named as Son and what appears to be 'S' next to this. This has been crossed out. It could be that it is an entry for status-single' or 'step' or anything I suppose. He is also dittoed as 'married'. John is a basket maker in 1861 and is blind. He is not with James and Mary in 1851.
A John Harding b 1835 only appears in 1861 census onwards. He is listed as blind and 1871 gives 'blind from..' but I can't make that out. He is an annuitant in 1881.... and he is single in other censuses.

I realise I have not solved your difficulties but am trying (very  ;))
I'm going to watch the cookery programme now!
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

I'm delighted to have a reply!  I think John was the last child of James and Sarah but where was he from birth until he first showed in the census?  I have a possible death for Sarah as 4 Nov. 1836 and John was born 14 Feb. 1836.  If he was blind from birth could he have been in a home of some sort, I wonder.

There is also a possible marriage of James and Mary Smith (with her 2 children) 28 Nov. 1846.  If this is all correct he was very unlucky in love as Mary died May 1851 only just getting on to the census.  John reappears in '61 with James and Ann!
I haven't found a marriage yet for James and Ann. 

Hope you enjoyed your cookery program Heywood and thanks again,
Any further thoughts welcomed,
Regards,
Abiam

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
yes it was interesting- thanks - not too keen on the ingredients though (pig's tripe etc)

Have looked for John  - could only think that he would be with relatives if born blind don't suppose there would be institutions etc  ???

Also looked for Susan - no such luck either. Sorry.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
Tripe!  Ugh!
Thanks for trying,
Abiam