Author Topic: Kelly's Stranraer  (Read 4344 times)

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Kelly's Stranraer
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, Anyone got any links or info on these Kelly's -

My GGrandfather Peter Farrell 3rd wife was Martha Maria Kelly born in Ireland c1841
Parents were James Kelly (1781 - 1870) & Susan Rooney (1782 - 1885)

I have them staying at 3 Lewis Ave on the 1861 census with her parents and siblings John / Robert.

Peter Farrell (flesher from Glasgow) and Martha Kelly had a daughter Annie in 1866 however I cant trace a marriage or birth record for these. Martha Kelly Farrell died in Glasgow in 1869 and is buried alongside Peters other two wives at Old Dalbeth Cemetery in Glasgow. (I have records of these).

On the 1871 Scotland census Annie is living with her grandmother Susan at 21 Fisher St  Stranrear and is a pupil at St Josephs School. On the 1881 Census she is back in Glasgow living with  Peters 4th wife my GGrandmother. She goes on to move to Motherwell and Marries Patrick McKenna in 1890 and has 4 children Alexander / Theresa / Lewis / Dorothy. Annie died in 1913 and is buried in the Globe Cemetery Motherwell.

If anyone has any information or links that link to these Kellys or possible photographs of Lewis Ave / St Josephs School / Fisher Street then please get in touch.

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's Stranraer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

This looks a possibility for daughter Annie's birth:

ANN FAIRLE     Birth:  29 MAR 1865      Clyde, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:PATRICK FAIRLE    and MARIA KELLY

Patrick and Peter are interchangeable in Scotland and Martha looks to have perhaps been using her second name as you can see.  If the right entry, hopefully you will get details of when Peter and Martha married from the birth registration.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
This is the marriage dates showing for this couple:

MARIA KELLY  Marriages:Spouse: PATRICK FAIRLEY    
Marriage:  10 JAN 1865  Clyde, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Monica

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 23:14 BST (UK) »
Monica,

This is really interesting its sounds very like who I'm looking for. I know that Pater and Patrick were commonly interchanged. I also have Pater living at 108 Broomilaw so the address is very similar as is the parents names both sides. Also Terrence was Peter's brother who is shown as witness.

Can I ask how you found this? and was it on ScotlandsPeople as I've been trying to find this for months.

A very big thanks you

Gerry

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

I found the details on IGI at Family Search however the cert. should be available to view on SP with the precise spelling of the entry as showing on IGI (we hope  ::)).

Let me know if it was the correct entry!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 23:41 BST (UK) »
 :P I've just re-read your message and realise that you have viewed the cert. So, do you think it is the right entry for them? From what you said, are there some variances on the entry?

Monica

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
Monica,

The main variant is Peter's name. Every other record we have he uses and signs as Peter Farrell.
This is te first time I've seen him as Patrick or Fairley even his Parents are listed as Fairley but his brother is still Farrell.
It could be that he was ashamed that Maria Kelly was pregnant out of wedlock. As I've seen throughout his 4 marriages his age moves quite a bit etc and I think he was a bit of a chancer.

I will see if St Andrew's Church records could help me on this one. But it certainly looks correct.

Is IGI family search a website, as I'm always grateful of new search links.

I cant stress how grateful I am again as this is the final piece I needed in the annie Farrell part of my tree, I have her wedding / children and death and very recently found her grave in the globe cemetery.

Gerry

1st Royals

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 April 08 00:09 BST (UK) »
IGI at www.familysearch.org is free to search and use. For Scotland is has predominantly Established Church of Scotland entries from the Old Parish Registers. It is particularly good for the post official reg. period of 1855 up to around 1874ish when it tails off (the Mormons stopped loading data on at this point for Scotland).

The search screen is very versatile, have a look around it. There are a number of search tricks to it like doing a parent search (putting details of parents names only on the r/h side to see what children show for a couple with those names for example). I found Annie's birth by simply putting Ann for first name - no surname - and then only mother's name (a good way of finding illegitimate births where the child may go on to use reputed father's name would you believe!).

There are other short cuts on it, get comfortable with it first  ;)

Be aware though that entries are either actual extract from records or submitted entries (which need to be verified elsewhere). The nature of the record shows on screen.

Regards.

Monica

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 April 08 00:29 BST (UK) »
Cheers Monica,

I have emailed these details to my cousin in America to see what she makes of them.
She has also been esearching our tree and I only found out that I still had relations in America after she phoned in search of Farrells out of the blue. Our family tree now lists over 1000 people and we are checking out a link to another possibile family link in Australia that was found via rootschat.

I'm so glad I put this on the wigtownshire forum now.

Gerry

1st Royals