Author Topic: 'I regret to inform you...'  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'I regret to inform you...'
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
This is kind of a 2-part question really, but ..

so far I've three people who were killed in WWI and am wondering if there would be a copy kept anywhere of the death notification to relatives and the subsequent notification regarding the location of the graves? (I do know where the graves are).   

Logic tells me that, because of sheer numbers, copies were unlikely.   However, if they were, would I be right in assuming they'd be attached to an individual's service record?  Unfortunately the records for the 3 people I'm researching, seem to have been among the 60% destroyed by fire since they don't seem to show up on anywhere I've searched - in fact I haven't even been able to find medal cards ...

Part 2 of this question is ... I'm almost sure relatives were sent a 'leaflet' which accompanied 'killed in action' notifications and, although I'd like copies of the notifications themselves, it's a copy of that leaflet I'm particularly interested in.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'I regret to inform you...'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Would the Imperial War Museum have a copy, do you think?

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mogsmum !

I've never seen them attached to a service record card.  Part 2 should, in my opinion, have a post of it's own !!!

Part 2 of this question is ... I'm almost sure relatives were sent a 'leaflet' which accompanied 'killed in action' notifications and, although I'd like copies of the notifications themselves, it's a copy of that leaflet I'm particularly interested in.
  ???

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mogsmum,

Not exactly an official record, but it may be worth trying the local newspaper archives for the area where the parents lived.

My gg-uncle John Matthews was killed in action in WW1 and the local newspaper posted an article mentioning his death, then a few days later it published a full transcript of the letter that his commanding officer had sent to his mother detailing his brave death (examining an unexploded bomb near the trench) and how much he would be missed by his colleagues. A totally unexpected bonus in my research, and one I would have missed if I'd just stopped my newspaper search with the death notice. Very sad reading, as well.

Glen

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
As far as the notification of the location of the grave is concerned, perhaps an enquiry to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission might be in order.  The dead were not buried in those lovely cemeteries immediately - I think they came about after the war once the decision had been made not to bring them home and land was set aside for cemeteries and the dead moved there.

There seems ample room for confusion: a great uncle of mine was reported to have no known grave (according to his brother who survived the war).  I have since discovered that he is buried in Houchin Cemetery.  My grandfather was never aware of this and perpetuated the story of no known grave.

The Commission may be able to answer your second question too.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:10 BST (UK) »

Hi Mogs !

I'm wondering if you mean the scroll ??  ???

Any chance of you posting the names ... somebody may be able to help you !

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps these are what you are looking for:
http://servicecomm.peweb8.m25.co.uk/cat42_1.htm

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Won't help answering your questions about British soldiers killed in WWI but Australia World War One records are available online and in the files are copies of all the paperwork to do with notifying the next of kin, what medals they were entitled to, etc. In addition to the Dead Man's Penny and Memorial Scroll the Australian families got a booklet. If you are interested I can send you additional details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
This was sent to my grandmother after my grandfather was killed in 1917.  I don't have any letter but I did find a copy of the one sent by his cousin's CO published in the local paper.

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA