Author Topic: 'I regret to inform you...'  (Read 6720 times)

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 'I regret to inform you...'
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 00:14 BST (UK) »
You will find them in officers papers but have ony ever seen one attached to a soldiers record.
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'I regret to inform you...'
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 11:41 BST (UK) »
Firstly, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who's replied.

Obviously I didn't explain myself very well, (the result of trying to condense things I guess), so I'll begin again.

I have 3 people who were killed in WWI.   I know where they are buried and have the CWGC information. 

Whilst idly searching the net, I came upon (http://www.1914-1918.net/died.htm), an image of the 'regret to inform you' telegram.  Some time after this there would no doubt, have been a further telegram saying where the body had been buried (if they knew).   The first part of my question was therefore, since our family haven't kept copies of these documents, would it be possible to find copies for my 3? 

The second part of my query led on from that.   At the foot of the image of Army Form B 104-82 ( the 'regret to inform you' telegram) are the printed words 'I am to add that any information that may be received as to the solider's burial will be communicated to you in due course. A separate leaflet dealing more fully with this subject is enclosed.'   It is a copy of that 'separate leaflet' that I'd be interested to see.   

I'm presuming it was pretty generic, giving details either of how to claim a deceased's medal or a pension, the difficulties (or impossibility) of returning any personal items or merely outlining that some time might elapse before a body was buried in a particular place. I'm just curious to know what that leaflet actually said.

The three people I'm researching are:

Dunmall - Percy Ronald.  Pte. 179594:  Driver Royal Field Artillery.  Killed 10.5.1918.   Buried Vieille-Chapelle New Military Cemetery, Lacoutre.

Malcher - Fredrick Charles.   Lance Corporal 11205:  2nd Bn. Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry.   Killed 30.9.1915.  Buried Etaples Military Cemetery.

and his brother -

Malcher - HJ (Herbert J).  Gunner 140036:  'B' Bty 15th Bde Royal Horse Artillery. Killed 9.10.1917 buried Ruisseau Farm Cemetery.

Sorry for the confusion of the original post - and for the length of this one.

Mogsmum