Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot  (Read 46574 times)

Offline littlevillager

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for help in tracing a distant relative, Scott McGregor (Regiment Number 2894) who served in the Kings Own Borderers in Ireland from 1880 to 1885.  While in Ireland, I know he served in Fermoy, Dungarvan, Kinsale and Dublin.  He was promoted to Sergeant and posted to the Regimental Depot in Berwick in April 1885.  He was discharged in October 1885 on the grounds of ill-health and indicated on his discharge papers that he was going to live in Aberdeen with his mother following his discharge.  However, I can't find out what happened to him after discharge.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might look.  I've looked up the Muster Pay Rolls but they only go up to 1884. 

Would there be pension records which would indicate what happened to him after discharge?
I believe he may have died shortly after discharge (within a year or two), would pension records indicate when a pension ceased to be paid to a deceased?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  I've hit a brick wall and don't know where to look for information now.

Thanks,

Jonathan O'Donovan.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonathan

A copy of his death certificate (or at least a dated note to stop payment) would almost certainly have been in his pension file at some point. It would also have told you where he received his pension - pensioners were allowed to move after discharge.

However the pages that exist today represent only about 10% of what would have been in there. Over the years they have been culled to save space. The alternative would have been for the NA to only have kept a 'representative sample' of (say) 2% complete files.

Muster Books do not contain information after the discharge as they ceased to be the responsibility of the Paymaster.

Ken

Offline littlevillager

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Many thanks for the information.  Looks like I'll have to try elsewhere to see what became of him.

Jonathan.

Offline debsmorgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Good Evening

My relative was John Langtry who is listed as a Sergent in the 25th, on the 1871 Census, whilst they were billetted at Fort Fareham in 1871.  His wife is listed as Mary Langtry (actually Mario Antonia) who was born in Gibraltar.

With them are various children, born in Canada, Scotland and Malta and all places in between! 

I wuld be so interested to learn more about John Langtry (born Shrewton, Wilts) and any advice would be very useful.

Thank you.

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 December 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thread and really interesting.
I am trying to trace two family members in the 25th regiment of foot/Kings Own Scottish Borderers.
I have birth certificate of GGGdad Thomas Adam Hilliard Lindsay from 1869 with father's occupation listed as 'lance corporal 25 regiment of the line'.GGGdad is Adam Lindsay b 1844 in Ireland (according to census).
I have a census trace of the family in 1871 at Fort Rowner with the 25 Regiment.

Searches on Findmypast military are turning up nothing for either of them. We are in possession of medals for Cpl T Lindsay No 2688 KOSB.
I am new to this so the question I would ask is.... do I need to use the searches better or I am better of visiting Kew at some stage?
Are muster rolls the wayforward? I have a hunch that Adam Lindsay died on service in India and his wife returned home with two children.

Offline sweenytwo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 January 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information it is really useful and fits with information i have -John married Cathrine who was born in Ireland Their first child Elizabeth was born in Exeter 1841. Ettrick was born 1851 in Bangalore and Jane in Chatham 1855 their fourth Child William was born Bedlington Northumberland 1860.

Thankyou again for your help

John Scott is my gt gt gt grandfather so we must be related do you know what happend to his son Ettick as I cant find him anywhere after 1881 in the Census Attached is Photo of Jane Scott my gt gt Grandmother

IanF

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 January 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Message for Ken KM1971
Many thanks for your message. Unfortunately I can't reply to you!
What is the best way to contact you?

Thanks again

Andrew

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

If you acknowledge this information, and you will be able to send a personal message - you need to post three times:

Ancestry have the medal rolls for T Lindsay for:

= Sudan (1884-86)
= India (1895)
= India (1897-98)
= Boer War

For the first three he was in the 2nd Battalion, and for the Boer War he was in the 1st Bn. For the Sudan he would have also received the Khedive's Star.

Added...It was the 1st Bn of the 25th in Fort Rowner in 1871

Ken

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 07 January 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken
That is great work thank you.
Just to confirm I have attached image of the medals (you might like to see).

I would really like to find out more about his service and that of his father, Adam Lindsay, who was part of that 1st bn at Fort Rowner in 1871.

Thanks again.

Andrew