Author Topic: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln  (Read 46383 times)

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
Penny

Thank you so much for all of this. Excellent background with some intriguing mysteries. I always prefer to see copies of actual records and the burial entries will be a valuable addition to my vast archive.

Patrick and Mary (nee Quin) were born in Ireland in 1806 and 1810 respectively. They moved to Lincoln before being recorded on the 1851 census living in Ashton’s Court, St Peter at Gowts, where they were also in 1861. 1871 they were in Gowts Passage - appears to have been somewhere off the High Street at around no. 404-405. Their last ‘sighting’ in 1881 was in Princess Street.

Patrick was a bricklayer, no doubt one of many who escaped the Famine to make a life for his family in England. His son Thomas, also born Annagh Co. Mayo, married a Lincs lass Jane Emmingham - I have her family back 5 generations to the 1650s in Corringham. A daughter of Thomas and Jane was Mary Ann King, my Nanna’s mother.

Patrick and Mary King were Catholic, confirmed by the priest holding the service, and possibly the reason for unconsecrated ground. I would not expect an MI.

The Loewental information may just be as you suspect - overspill from the next plot. I have not located the lives of all of Patrick and Mary King’s children so there is a possible connection - unlikely. More research needed.

Once again many thanks. Our visit is short, with a lot to do. Many churches and graveyards unfortunately no longer exist like St Martins where Thomas King and Jane Emmingham were married - I have just learned today that one - St Botolphs - has recently been sold to the Greek Orthodox Church. At least it still stands!

I have emailed the bereavement address for some guidance on the cemetery.

David
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 19 May 22 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David. I remember St Martins church well and it's 2 graveyards. I lived on Victoria Street 1956  - 1959 and went to the Girl Guides at the church which was just opposite the end of Victoria Street. The 2 graveyards are in Garmston Street off Hungate behind the Cheese Shop, just the slabs used as paving which I used to walk through going to school at St Martins school 59 - 60     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itWQOvFWq6s              and another graveyard at the bottom end of Beaumont Fee which was used as an overflow burial ground  for St Martins up to 1850. It  was mainly the graveyard for St Mary Crackpool (long gone) https://heritage-explorer.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Monument/MLI89657  I hope you enjoy your trip
Penny

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 19 May 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
I was looking for the parish record for the marriage of Jane Emmingham and Thomas King at St Martins as you said but it's not there, they were married at St Paul in the Bail up by the castle (gone now) I've attached the parish record for you and link to FindMyPast  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FLINCS%2FLINCOLN_ST_PAUL_IN_THE_BAIL_PAR_1_7%2F0257&parentid=GBPRS%2FLINCS%2FMAR%2F00266690%2F2  Hope you don't mind me pointing it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ZabY6inHQ  Penny

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 19 May 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
Penny

Certainly do not mind the correction. I have the marriage record copy - was trying to get things ready for trip tomorrow - attending a wedding in North Hykeham - and got my Lincoln churches confused!

Returning to the Loewental family I think we are perhaps looking at either a sexton or clerical error. Their son Anton Ignatz appears to have changed his name on naturalisation in 1947 to Lucas. He appears to have married Doris Louise Ghetler in 1950 and Electoral Registers show them as living in Church Street Leatherhead in 1961-62. There is a tree on ancestry with Anton and Doris - I have messaged the owner for more info.

As said I am not expecting an MI, however there may be one for such a reknowned sculptor such as Artur Imanuel Loewental and his wife which would stand out. Hopefully my ancestors are in the next plot.

Looking forward to this short trip - have many ancestor families all over Lincolnshire so certainly have to come back.

Just hope I get the right church!

Kind regards

David
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 19 May 22 18:12 BST (UK) »
 I was born and raised in Lincoln and lived there til my early 20s when I went down South to work for an airline where I met my husband. After we married in 73 we moved to Lincoln but hubby did not settle and we moved back down South in 76 and been here ever since but I miss Lincoln more than ever now. I too have my roots in LIncolnshire and have been researching since I retired in 2010. I hope you solved the issue with which grave Artur is in and which your Kings, I would have thought he would have been placed with his wife but stranger things have happened. Hope you have a good weekend, and if I can help in any other way just give me a shout.
Kind regards
Penny

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 20 May 22 23:05 BST (UK) »
yes under Penny van den Bosch

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 21 May 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Had a freind request on FB from David Cadd. Is that you ?
Kind regards
Penny

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 22 May 22 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny

Yes it is.

David
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 22 May 22 11:22 BST (UK) »
ok that's fine, just wary re accepting friend requests from names that aren't familiar