Author Topic: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln  (Read 46361 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canwick Road Cemetery - Lincoln
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 01 June 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone :)
I'm coming very late to this thread but I hope I can clarify some details on Canwick Cemetery.
I've just returned today from a successful visit having gained some knowledge from here beforehand
All three cemeteries now have new plot reference boards installed and I've uploaded them below.
I was searching for my GGrandfather in plot D2815 and had no success using the grid shown earlier in this thread.
A cemetery staff member was very helpful - he was grass cutting but gave up his time to fetch both the register and plot plans from the office.
I hope these photos help :)

Thank you for this,

What I was confused about before seeing this, was when Canwick Road New Cemetery opened. My 3x great Phoebe Hall (maiden name Clapham) was buried on the 1st of June 1864 in plot number A650. :)

Her husband was buried at Canwick Road New Cemetery in 1917 in section S, plot number 288, with his second wife.

Offline davidwgrobinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 17 June 22 22:47 BST (UK) »
I went today, visited both Canwick's, Swithins and Newport.

Using Findagrave, Newport is quite easy to navigate if you have the plot number.

Canwick New Cemetery is okay, once you get used to the way the plots are in squares.

Canwick Old is difficult, and I had the same as many people, I found only one of 5, but the staff there are really helpful and we had quite a chat.  They don't mind helping if you have only a couple of names.  I had 25, but as I said to them, I only needed help with The Old Cemetery, and they got the maps out to help.   He later came across to the New Cemetery to see how I was getting on, so really nice to help.

David

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 18 June 22 05:45 BST (UK) »
Just before the pandemic hit I set myself the task of piecing together the hundreds of Chambers burials in Lincoln as I had a feeling many were related to each other. Many times the same forenames appear and the census returns showed them living in the same area, often as neighbours or just a few doors apart.

Using the FHS listings I was able to work out quite a few family groups by address and/or plot numbers. I was in the process of entering them on findagrave (I had entered about 90), but soon after I started the entire FHS listing was uploaded to findagrave. With the mass upload and several years of work done by another findagrave member in the years before I now know there are in excess of 300 of the family related to me buried in the Canwick and Newport cemeteries and over 800 when including other surnames.