Author Topic: Evacuation of jersey ww2  (Read 9420 times)

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Evacuation of jersey ww2
« on: Sunday 16 January 05 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Could anyone tell me where i could find any information of the people of Jersey, who were evacuated during 2nd world war occupation of the Channel Islands.

My gran and my dad came to Oldham Lancashire for the duration of the war with some other members of their family. I have asked one of my dads cousins who came here at the same time, but she doesnt remember anything as she was only a baby at the time, her mother told her that they came off Jersey on the last boat, which was a coal boat. that is all i know at the moment.

I am looking for dates that they came here and when they went back, i would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Thankyou

sal                                       

Quirot - Jersey C/I, Lancashire
Gouyette - France, Jersey C/I
Hall - Northampton, Lancashire
Buckley - Oldham Lancashire - Saddleworth Yorkshire
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I
Eastwood - Oldham, Shaw, Royton, Middleton Lancashire
Mayall - Oldham Lancashire
Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuation of jersey ww2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sal,

See my posting in this section for the useful research site. It is worth taking a look  as it contains a wealth of reference material.

Go to the link therein and follow the path to the catalogue page,
choose  detailed subject
enter the word  "evacuees "

The Archive Centre holds an extensive amount of occupation papers belonging to the  Bailiffs  Chamber relating to evacuees during WW2 and you will see from these  evacuees wishing to return had to submit  an application to do so, there were also records kept of those who left.

They may be able to search on your behalf if you contact them with details and there is also a Channel Islands Occupation Society  and quite a few websites re the occupation of the Channel Islands.

Hope this is of use and If I can be of any further help  please let me know.

Best Wishes

Scatty

Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 05 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatty

Thankyou for replying to my message, i have checked out the site that you suggested and i have found what i was looking for.

thanks once again

sal
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I

Offline kiwistingray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sal
Interestingly enough, I was an infant during the occupation and told by my Aunt that we were evacuated and on the last boat to leave as well. I was told that it was a "chocolate boat" and that is all we had to eat! and that the boat took a long time to get back to England because of the mines laid in the channel.   I guess there are many similar stories and they become embelished like 'chinese whispers' over the years.    I would love to know of any info on that evacuation if you have any.
thanks,  Mike

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

The only other information i have is their return to Jersey application after the war, i ordered it from the Jersey Heritage Trust web site. The information i received was copy of the application. The information on it is name and date of birth of applicant, their address in Jersey and address where they lived during the war, any occupation in Jersey and in England and the date when they applied to return to Jersey.

My grandparents and dad returned to Jersey after the war but decided to come back to England permanantly after my dad had left school, they came back to Oldham about 1949 and stayed.

My dads cousin told me about the coal boat, she was about 1 year old at the time and doesn't remember anything at all other than what her mum told her, i think it was like you said family stories.

My Gran kept a note of all the Red Cross messages that she sent and received from family still in Jersey and has some usefull snippets of information regarding our family.

Thats as much information that i have, sadly my dad and grandparents are no longer around to ask.

Sal
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I

Offline kiwistingray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sal,
Thanks for that.  I was born in London and sent to the Chann Isls to be safe from the war! and then evacuated back to London to suffer the blitz.  I was born 1938 so just a little one.  My mother's parents (Philip Charles Mourant and Mathilda Louisa Cassin) were from Grouville and shifted to England early on.  When I was taken to Jersey at start of war, we stayed with cousins living there.   Now I am trying to locate who they were and where they are now.  I have discovered that great grandaunts married into Touzel, Bertram , Weaver and OBrien families, but thats as far as I can get.
cheers,   Mike

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 06 01:53 BST (UK) »

Try this Mike

http://www.jerseyheritagetrust.org/

Go to Catalogue - then Archives - then Names

There's quite a few Mourants - try the other family names also ! - you may be able to find your family's registration cards etc

Good luck !

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline treaclehead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a total novice here and I'd love to see the site that Scatty refers to in her message but can't see a link. Can someone point me in the right direction so that I can see if I can track down my missing Denoual/Hebert relatives please?

Thanks

Sam

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

The website for the Jersey Heritage trust is.
http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/

Cliick on the link,  then on archives, then on names, enter the surname that you wish to search for.
I had a quick look for your names and found one for Denoual which was for a registeration card, and for Herbert there was quite a few for registeration cards and other things.
The registeration cards you can order copies and in most cases there is a photograph attached.

Hope this helps
Sal
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I