Author Topic: Hoyle street, Derry  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hoyle street, Derry
« on: Thursday 17 April 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have what I believe to be my Great Grandmothers birth certificate.

Her name was JANE ADAM, father WILLIAM ADAM, shoemaker. mother MARY SPEIRS.
She was born at 111, Hoyle street, Derry. 7/2/1868.

Can anyone tell me about townland parish etc. What would the area have been like then. They were presbyterians according to the 1911 census from county Galway. I believe father and mother hailed from Glasgow.
I have tried Googling Hoyle street but nothing came up.

Many thanks

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoyle street, Derry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:38 BST (UK) »
Can't find a Hoyle Street but there is a Foyle Street- could that be it?

IGI lists 6 children in the family:
Isabella Galloway 1855, Elizabeth Farnie 1857, Mary 1859 all born Scotland and William W. 1864, Isabella 1866, Jane 1868 all bvorn Londonderry. The first three born in Scotland are also listed in Pedigree Resource File (submitted records).

There should be more information on the parents in Scottish records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 08 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Aghadowey, I think you are right I have just scrutinised the writing and it could be Foyle street.
I have seen the children on the IGI and suspect they are the same family. My mum has alway said her grandmas family were from Scotland.
Someone on Ancestry has what I suspect is her family on there but I dont have a lot of proof so I am trying to find out as much about the family as I can. Unfortunately the Irish children are not mentioned only that William Adam and Mary died in Ireland.
Can you tell me anything about Foyle Street, Derry. Which townland would I be looking at? Which Presbytarian church would be closest.

Sorry there are so many questions. I always seem to get help on here. Its my first dip into Northern Ireland!

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 April 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Foyle Street runs parallel with River Foyle from the Guildhall to John Street (at what was GWR station now Foyleside Roundabout).
Can think of 4 Presbyterian Churches in area:
1st Derry
2nd Derry (Strand)
3rd Derry (Great James St.)
4th Derry (Carlisle Road)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 April 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Aghadowey. Looks like I have a choice of churches to look for baptisms!
If I was to try and get hold of say, a 1901 census which area would I order, is it just classed as Derry or is Foyle street in another smaller area? Would you have that info?

Jacqui

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 April 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure what film Foyle St. is under. LDS catalogue gives more details for 1911 census contents.
1911 Foyle Street is shown as being D.E.D. 49/14-31 but not sure if same areas would apply to 1901 census.
If you go to LDS catalogue do Place Search with Londonderry part of Londonderry and then click on link to census records then 'view film notes.'

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
I will try that. Many thanks

jacqui