Author Topic: Ballyjamestown, Cavan, Co Armagh - COMPLETED  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ballyjamestown, Cavan, Co Armagh - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Anyone ever heard of Ballyjamestown?
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyjamestown, Cavan, Co Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:44 BST (UK) »
There's a Ballyjamesduff in County Cavan- could this be the place?
See www.thecore.com/seanruad to find townlands and parishes in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 April 08 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Aghadowey.

I'm looking for more info than is on IGI -
Patrick Ferguson and Mary Connors had two daughters:
Jean/Jane in 1865 and Bridget in 1872, in Ballyjamesduff, Cavan, Co Armagh.

I've a note on paper about Ballyjamestown, so someone must have made a mistake and should have written Ballyjamesduff.

Thanks again!

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
The IGI records you refer to does not mention Co. Armagh, btw. They would be records for Co. Cavan.

11 NOV 1865       0335, Ballyjamesduff, Cavan, Ireland
23 AUG 1872       332, Ballyjamesduff, Cavan, Ireland

Parents:
     Father:     Patrick Ferguson    
     Mother:     Mary Connors

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you both – now I’m even more confused!

The note I have has Ballyjamestown, Cavan, Co Armagh
But IGI has Ballyjamesduff, Cavan, Ireland

(The family I’m looking for had 10 children and most of them seem to have been born in a different place to their siblings!). 

The only one I’m certain about is a female born in Newbliss in Co Monaghan.

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 16:55 BST (UK) »
Kate,

I feel your pain. My grandfather's family was much smaller, but the 5 children were born in 4 different locations.  It took me quite awhile to find his birth record.

The site that aghadowey referenced is a good one for sorting through townlands/parishes and counties. ( http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/ ). It allows you to enter just a county name and see all of the townlands with the county. You can then use your browsers search capability (Ctrl F) to help resolve name or spelling issues of specific locations within the county. For example, listing al of the townlands in Co Armagh, and then searching for "James" shows you that there are no townlands, parish's or baronies with james in the name, so ballyjamestown or duff or james-anything, is likely not to be in Armagh.

What do you know about the one born in Monaghan? 

Have you tried this site ( http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/map.php?&set=yes ) to look for records? You can access the index free of charge. It's a good way to discover information and get some ideas. Unfortuantely Monaghan is not yet online, but the surrounding counties (Cavan, Armagh, Fermanagh) are.

If you can hone in on an area, you might then try ordering 1901 or 1911 Census films from a local Family History Center.

Or you can go back in time by checking the Griffith's Valuation here --> http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Enjoy.
John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 18:39 BST (UK) »
Many people (especially labourers) moved about looking for work. Although they are in different counties it's only about 40 km from Ballyjamesduff, Cavan to Newbliss, Monaghan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 11:50 BST (UK) »
The only one I'm sure about is MARTHA JANE McCLOUGHEY b 1903, Newbliss, Co Monaghan. 

She left a note confirming her birthplace and her parents name and mentioned a brother, Frank.  She is the daughter of Jane Ferguson and John McCloughey.  (Jane Ferguson's parents were the Patrick Ferguson and Mary Connors on IGI.) 

I've tried every online facility but have NO results for that surname.  I'm sure the spelling has changed as I've found McLoughey/McLuffey etc.  There's only ONE McCloughey (with that spelling on Anc*stry), no one else is looking for the family at all - which I thionk is really unusual. 

The one who is on Anc*stry, is Martha's brother, Francis, who died in the Battle of the Somme in 1916.  I found him on CWGC - I'm not going to sub to Anc*stry just to see his WW1 medals (presumably the British Star).  I donlt think the WW1 medal info gives anything that will help, does it?  I'll wait until I have a few others to find before I pay another £10! 

Most of the McCloughey family I've found (and there's not many) on Scotlands People are descendants of *my* family  and I've spent a small fortune on SP getting the certs to prove it.  But nothing yet on the Irish side at all.  And if I use wildcards there's thousands of them - too many to check.

I think this is one which will end up on the back burner (if there's any room left!)

Offline lyzstaman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
Kate
Have you tried the Ferguson's of Ireland website?
It is on Rootsweb(Free!) and covers them in Cavan and Armagh, etc. Great site and loads of references. You may find what you need.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/FergusonsOfIreland/index.htm

The IGI is well known for mistakes--many records were hand written years ago and submitted to the LDS church.
Cheers
Lyz Morrow Staman

MORROW family of Ballyjamesduff
Ballyjamesduff, County Cavan:
MORROW
BYERS/ BYARS
HENRY
EVANS
PORTER
CORKEDALE/CORKINDALE
HARTLEY