Author Topic: Finding my mother's aunts and uncles  (Read 3327 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Finding my mother's aunts and uncles
« on: Sunday 16 January 05 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been conducting a search for my mother's family, of which I have little record because she was an orphan.

Her mother, Jane Davies, had seven brothers and sisters, but her brother Robert Davies does not appear on the 1891,91, or 1901 census along with the rest of the family. The only rough information we have is that in 1922 he was 29 and a chauffeur, working in Waverley, Liverpool, living at 24 Picton St. However, all the family were from Abergele.

We cannot obtain a birth certificate for William Davies either. He appears on the 1901 census aged 9 in Abergele.

The other child that remains a real mystery is Jane's sister Gwen Davies. We believe that it 1922 she kept house for her father in Abergele, but she appears in none of the census' we have looked at.

I would very much appreciate your help in trying to piece together my mother's family. A digital map of liverpool would also be greatly appreciated so I can look at the location of Picton St.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my mother's aunts and uncles
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi valerie1,

Can't help you with family details sorry.

But regarding Picton St, Liverpool - There is a Picton Rd, Wavertree
Enter it on the following map page http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Also for older maps try this: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Street names often changed - as there could be more than one of the same name.

Good Luck with your search - I am sure someone else will be able to help you with your family details.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 05 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Keith for the infomation

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

your request is a little confusing, but it is clear what (or who) you are looking for.

It would be a great help if we had a year of birth for your mother, that would help us to orientate a rough time scale.

I assume that William Davies is one of her uncles, b: 1892. You don't say who else was on the 1901 census at the same address. If William was one of the eldest children, then 1891 would be an option, but 1881 would be a bit too early. If on the other hand, he was one of the later children, his other siblings could well be emunerated in 1881. The parents names should be given in the 1901 census, and these should then help you with the other census'.

If Gwen was in Abergele in 1922, then she won't be in any census there, as the last one made public is 1901. You could however try the electoral registers. I think women had the vote then, but thats something to check.

Do you have a copy of your mothers birth certificate? Her parents names will also appear on that, hence making a search of the census easier.

If you can provide us with more info, I think we could be able to help a bit more.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to clarify - all men over 21, regardless of their status, got the vote in 1918 but for women they had to be 30.  Women over 21 got the vote in 1928.

Like D says, if you can be a bit more specific with your mum's and other details that you have then perhaps somebody can come up with an idea or two.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk