Author Topic: How to do a Search  (Read 5215 times)

Offline hutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How to do a Search
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Am I doing something wrong?
If I open up a thread from the result of a search, I am unable to get back to the listing of results of the search without re-entering the details of the search.
denise
Albon - Chelsea, Bedfordshire,
Hutchinson - Islington
Warwick,
Spicer, Barnes, Hawkins, Ironside, Squibb, Drake, Pople - Dorset,
Adams - Somerset
Drover, Eggs, Bartlett, Gillingham, Rogers, Durdall - Christchurch, Hampshire
Cotton, Bird, North, Foster - West Midlands
Steel, Jeffcock, Mangham, Stacey, Hill, Pagden, Storey - Sheffield, Yorkshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: returning to search listings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
If the problem persists, the right-click on the posting you want and "Open in New window". This will leave your search results page untouched.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: returning to search listings
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 05 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Another method is to press the shift-key, while clicking on the link: this also opens a new window. 

This method seems to be general, i.e. it also works for any link on RootsChat, including the Search-Button.

It also works for Google and other web-sites, including local web-sites (hypertext books).
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How to do a Search
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry if I am repeating a similar request, but if I had found the answer by doing a search I wouldn’t need to ask :P

Click on the search button, put in a term that one is interested in lets say a family name Jones, lots of possible pages come up - brilliant just what I want.

Click on a link and go to a page and either find something of interest or irrelevant.

Click "back" to see if any of the other links that the search threw up are of value and get a "Can't Show that its not available" message.

(My browser actually says:
Does dim modd dangos y dudalen
Dydy'r dudalen rydych chi'n chwilio amdani ddim ar gael ar hyn o bryd. Mae'n bosibl bod anawsterau technegol ar y Wefan, neu fod angen i chi addasu gosodiadau eich porwr.  - which is basically "the page can no longer be shown")

Is there a way, after doing, a search that one can go back to the search results without starting over again?

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to do a Search
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 05 09:43 GMT (UK) »
the easiest way is simply to hold the shift key down, when you click on a link !!

This automatically opens a new window, so your search results are still in the "old" window !

this seems to be a general thing, which works on links anywhere - Google, RootsChat (e.g. open the Search-window itself in a new window, also useful for  checking "unread posts since your last visit" etc)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 05 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Search results are done "on the fly", RootsChat does however only keep a very limited number of "cached" searches.

If you use Internet Explorer, you can go to:
Tools>Internet Options...>Settings...>Automatically
Then click OK and OK

If you use Firefox (which I do) I can't see an equivalent setting.

Your error message should read:
Mae'n mwy na tebig bod anawsterau technegol ar RootsChat, neu fod Trystan ddim yn gwybod be mae o'n wneud hanner yr amser.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 05 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I have merged these are they are the same question.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Searching RootsChat
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 January 05 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to search RootsChat for all the threads started by a particular person?
Also, when I do a search, then look at a thread, if I use browser back to return to the search results, I get the "expired page" message and have to reload the search results. Is this as it should be, or am I doing something wrong (as often happens).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyn S

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 05 10:06 GMT (UK) »
the easiest way is simply to hold the shift key down, when you click on a link !!

This automatically opens a new window, so your search results are still in the "old" window !

this seems to be a general thing, which works on links anywhere - Google, RootsChat (e.g. open the Search-window itself in a new window, also useful for  checking "unread posts since your last visit" etc)

Bob

Thanks for that tip, Berlin-Bob.

I have just tried that out when checking Free BMD marriages for 'Possible Spouses' and it works a treat!

I've found recently - maybe due to heavy use by others of the Free BMD site - that, after checking for 'Possible Spouses', I have been unable to get back to my Search Results.

Now I know what to do - thank you very much for the tip.

Best wishes

Lyn S