Author Topic: THOMPSON - Leitrim  (Read 3504 times)

Offline IanThompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMPSON - Leitrim
« on: Saturday 19 April 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the history of my family and it seems that one of them, my gt gt gt grandfather was born in Co Leitrim (according to the 1911 census of Dublin).

He was James (Kempson) Thompson, a compositor (typesetter), who was born ca 1836-37 (ages from 2 marriages and the 1911 census agree on this), son of James Thompson, farmer (1st 1860 marriage in Limerick) or shopkeeper (2nd 1866 marriage, also in Limerick).

I note with interest the free data from Griffith's Valuation of Ireland for Leitrim showing a James Thompson in Cornacloy township, Cloonclare parish (1856/7).

Also, an entry from "The Irish Jurist" for 1851 mentioning a James and Anne Thompson, complainants in a case of indecency against a member of the church, no less, living in Clooncumber, Cloone.

He seems to have been CoI or Presbyterian as I would have expected from our non-Irish-sounding name.

My James' children (by 3 different marriages) were:
Susan Jane b1860 Limerick
Ellen Catherine b 1863 Limerick
James George b1867 Dublin (my gt gt grandfather)
William Schomberg b 1869 Dublin
Harriet Sparling (named for her mother) b1876 Dublin (married in 1911 in Yorkshire, England)
Albert Schomberg b ca 1885 Belfast
William Kempson b 1888 Liverpool England

What to make of someone so enamoured by the name Schomberg, I do not know, but I would be very grateful if anybody could assist in any way as I seem to have made a breakthrough after many years of focussing on Limerick!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: THOMPSON - Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 08 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,

Welcome to RootsChat.

It looks as though your great, great, great grandfather may have been a member of the Orange Order. The Duke of Schomberg is said to have landed at Groomsport in Co. Down in 1690 leading a large army who supported King William.

Christopher