Author Topic: translation  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Maidstone Maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
translation
« on: Saturday 19 April 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyone translate into english a "FIDES MATRIMONII CONTRACTI"
please. This is about my husbands parents and Clonoulty where they were brought up, they married in london so don't quite understand what this is.

Any help is appreciated

Freda
Snowball,  Underwood,     O'Farrell, Hatt,  Larter,   ,Barkes, Holmes, Streak bristow

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: translation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 08 00:10 BST (UK) »
"FIDES meant 'reliablilty' or 'good faith', a sense of trust between two parties if a relationship between them was to exist. FIDES was always reciprocal and mutual, and implied both privileges and responsibilities on both sides."

So this roughly means "good faith marriage contract".  I am sure that someone who is an expert on church marriage. Latin, and legalese, will check in with a better explanation, but perhaps it refers to the marriage couple promising that there are no barriers to them getting married.  I.e. no other spouses, no blood relationship, etc.  A google search doesn't turn up a great definition.

Hope this helps.
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Maidstone Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I had thought it was something like that. would you be able to translate the rest of it for me? it has a date of 1895 on it and I think that was the birthdate of my husbands father, as well as 1930 the date they got married.
without knowing quite what it says it is a bit confusing.

Many thanks Freda
Snowball,  Underwood,     O'Farrell, Hatt,  Larter,   ,Barkes, Holmes, Streak bristow

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 05:06 BST (UK) »
I am assuming this detail comes from a marriage?

I have a copy of an 1892 marriage and it doesn't refer to that phrase, I assume it was an RC wedding?
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Maidstone Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a RC marriage. They got married in London in 1930 but they both came from Clonoulty in Ireland. I may be wrong but my guess is that it is saying ok to get married and that the groom was baptised in june 1896.