Author Topic: Where would he be buried?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline katrinamawbey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where would he be buried?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 April 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
Its an awful thought, but then again, i suppose you have to think how the victorians thought... and put your mind back to how people lived then...

Big families, loads of children, social status being all important to well off families..

I never liked the Victorian period much....

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 April 08 17:49 BST (UK) »
I think we may be judging them a bit harshly.  Very often they simply did not have the money to keep an extra family member who could not contribute.   
Andrea

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 April 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed some Workhouse records for Northampton and Wellingborough.

Seahall

Are these records easily available? I have some ancestors who were Wellingborough and possibly Kettering Workhouse inmates from around 1837 and would love to see what information they might have about the family. I'm also happy to do some transcribing if needed, provided that is possible from half a world away.

Jojosam
Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 April 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jojosam

A lot of Record Offices ( Northamptonshire in our case) would have the ones that survived.

I could see if any of yours are mentioned if you wish.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy for your info and your kind offer. I'm sending you a pm about it.

Jojosam
Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My great-great grandfather died in the Sheffield Workhouse - I suspect he went in for hospital care. I looked everywhere for his burial place, but then contacted the Sheffield Indexers (thanks to some advice from a fellow rootschatter) and they immeditely suggested Burngreave Cemetery - which was the nearest large public cemetery to the workhouse. The Friends of Burngreave kindly located his grave and emailed me a photo - it is unmarked, but they lay a wreath on the spot to mark it's place.
So, contacting someone with local knowledge certainly proved helpful - perhaps the local family history society might be able to help, if the local archives cannot.
Anyway, I wish you luck.
Kind regards,
 Paulene :)