Author Topic: HASTINGS RICHARDS Dunas c1830s  (Read 5684 times)

Offline collinscarnegie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HASTINGS RICHARDS Dunas c1830s
« on: Sunday 20 April 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
Ann Hastings was born c1834 in Dunas, Co Clare (or perhaps in Limerick). She married a Charles Richards in the Victorian goldfields 1854. Her husband was born in Prussia but may have spent time in Ireland. [source: Victorian death certificates of Ann and Charles].

I am hoping to locate either of these families in that region at that time.

With many thanks in advance
Stuart

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HASTINGS RICHARDS Dunas c1830s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know the name of Ann's father, or her religion?

Also, you mention Dunas.  The area of Doonass was often referred to as being in Limerick, although I believe it to be in Co Clare.  I wonder if this could be the Hastings townland.

Cheers

Offline collinscarnegie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 08 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi LH,
I know of the existence of Ann Hasting or Hastings from the BDM certificates of her children. One  certificate  has Ann's birthplace as Dunas, another gives it as Bryant's Bridge, Limerick, consistent with your helpful information below.  The available certificates give no leads on parent's names for Ann.

I know Ann Hastings and her husband Charles Richards had a daughter Charlotte Richards born 1855 (source: BDM certificates): hospital records show Charlotte Richards (b1855) was admitted under a religion code of Anglican (source:"Dunolly Hospital Admission Registers"). On the other hand, the hospital records also reveal the existence of a George Hastings (b Ireland c 1820 died Dunolly 1875) who was Roman Catholic. I have no other evidence for a family relationship between George and Ann.  I know Ann Hasting's husband Charles Richards (c1824-1880) was born in Staten, Prussia but religion is unknown.

Yes, I was confused as the the historic location of Dunas/Doonass. I note Google Earth that Dunas and Bryant's Bridge are more or less on the borders of the two counties.

With many thanks for your interest

Regards from Canberra, Australia

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Again, I have to wonder if O'Briensbridge, Co Clare, wasn't the area being referred to.   It may have been that the person writing down the information took a guess at the spelling.

Its strange how the border between Limerick and Clare seems to be a bit fuzzy.  My own relatives always said they came from Limerick - however, it was definitely Clare!

According to the LDS, there were a lot of Hastings in the Killaloe area - which would be close to both Doonass and O'Briensbridge and the name George crops up a few times - but in earlier generations. 

Cheers