Author Topic: 1871 Census for ARMSTRONG please  (Read 2205 times)

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census for ARMSTRONG please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 April 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
There is a 32 year old Jane Cranson born Shotton who is a dressmaker, widowed and living with her parents in Sunderland Row, Shotton on the 1871 census. This looks like a match - do you want full details?

Her dad is Francis Hedley.

The marriage certificate should show his name - is it there?

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 April 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
I knew from the marriage that I have of Jane CRANSON to Edward ARMSTRONG that her name was HEDLEY it is on the Marriage Cert.  They named their children Robert after his father and Francis after hers.  I was very surprised to find it wasn't his first marriage.  He was a Widower!   I thought it might be a mistake as she was a Widow too.     

After she died Edward ARMSTRONG married Jane MAUGHAM, a widow of Walter HALL at the Methodist Church Durham, daughter of Matthew MAUGHAM from Shincliffe he is a Methodist Preacher.  It seems the ARMSTRONGs are also Methodists.

I have just applied for the Marriage of the above Robert ARMSTRONG aged 28 to Sarah Jane JOHNSON found on my Fatfield Microfiche married 1901. 

He is with the family in Wolmerhausen Street Wheatley Hill in 1901.  I don't know who she is yet.  I lived next to Fatfield Church for 7 years Robert's grave was in the Churchyard.  However his wife was still aive in a small miners cottage at Penshaw, my mother her niece who remembered her, and I visited her a couple of times.

Thank you for your input and all your help.

Noreen

Noreen
York uk

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 April 08 23:41 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, Noreen - I've been going round in circles and had firmly got it into my head that Jane was Edward's first wife - think I am going quietly crazy. Sorry for the confusion.

I will post the details of what may be the whereabouts of Edward Armstrong in 1871 but the details are not at all clear.  This guy is living in Shotton which puts him in the correct area to meet Jane Cranson

See what you think - the only problem is - I can't tell whether he is married or unmarried so I am going to post the original entry. The enumerator seems to use both 'U' and 'unmar' which doesn't help. Edward's birthplace is also given as Durham. I feel as though I am swimming in treacle with this one and would welcome another opinion

Address is School Row, Shotton Colliery, Shotton, Durham.

This is the only Edward Armstrong showing up in Shotton.

RG10/4972 Folio 54 Page 27.

The big problem with trying to find a possible first marriage is that we don't know where he was living between 1861 when he was boarding in Elswick, Northumberland and 1871. I do feel this may be your Edward in 1871 despite birthplace as he is a Colliery Engineman in 1881. There is no entry for a Edward Armstrong born Bywell Northumberland on the 1871.

Phew!

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 April 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
Tricia

That is him!!  His occupation is the same as on his marriage to Jane CRANSON, Wow!  It looks like he might be Married!  It certainly doesn't seem to be a W for widower to me.  You are clever, thank you so very much. 

It is a clue most of the family are in Northumberland at this time, he may have married there first.

Thank you again.

Noreen

Noreen
York uk