Author Topic: Surname intrests in The Lye area  (Read 75400 times)

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname intrests in The Lye area
« Reply #99 on: Monday 04 October 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all, but especially Arlen and Linnell!

I am so thrilled to read your comments thus far!

I've been working for years on my paternal Welsh family, and thought this winter might be time to follow up my Mum's paternal family, the Astons from The Lye/ Lye Cross. I had questioned my Mum and her sister, both in their late 80's and discovered the following:

My mother's father and his siblings were (in order of age?): Harry, Wilfred, Edith, Joseph, Alice, Howard (Richard) and Carrie (Caroline). Wilfred's birth certificate shows that he was born 1889 at Badger Street, Lye. The father is noted as George Harry Aston and the mother as Caroline Aston, nee Walker.

My aunt talks vividly abouts visits to her father's cousins in The Lye,especially to see Aunty Zuba, and the tiny sweet shop, with the apple tree and pigsty in the back garden. She also mentions a visit to another relative, whom my Mum thinks is Aunty Tet, which was at a  posh villa, with a musical box! There was also a visit to Aston relatives in Crossgates and Cowdenbeath - I think this is something to do with Harry (grandfather's brother) who had moved to live in Scotland.

My memories of conversations with my grandfather were descriptions of a wonderful and beautiful mother, who had been in service - I've found her on the 1881 census, aged 14, born in Amblecote, and working for the Billingham family in Wollescote, and later working in/keeping a pub on Lye Cross. Little about his father, other than that he worked at Ham Baker's in the Black Country, on a sawmill. I think his parents were Thomas and Esther. Also, of a large family, with regular visits.

I had just started to surf the net/family history sites for information when I found your postings! I am so thrilled to read your comments thus far, and to see your photos! Do you think that my folks above are the Astons about whom you've been writing?

I should so love to hear from any of you!

Regards,

Bryn Meurig.
Davies, Owen, Jones, Pritchard in Dolwyddelan and Penmachno.
Hughes, Jones, Closs in/near Llanberis.
Aston, Walker in the Lye, Worcs.
Farrell, Hollins, Holland in Birmingham.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryn, looks like George H was living in Lomey Town Cradley Heath in 1881.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I don't think his father Thomas connects to me?  Although he could be a brother or a cousin, need to trace him back on the Census.  Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Linell, and many thanks for your speedy response, and for your efforts with the census!

I had already checked the 1881 census, and think that probably is the right family, but will need to get certificates.

The 1881 shows lots of Astons in The Lye, and I think those in Badger St. (Wilfred was later born here) and at the Pawn Broker's shop (Wilfred's 2 sisters ran one in The Lye for many years) may be connected. I'm wondering if Arlen could throw some light on this?

The 1881 also shows 2 Aston families, with Lye connections at Amblecote, where Caroline Walker (George Aston's wife) was born - did they meet through a family connection in Amblecote, I wonder?

Regards,

Bryn Meurig.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryn, I've got back to a John Aston born 1770 Ambelcote, in 1841 the family live in Aston Fold Kingswinford, which I imagine was an Aston Commune in Ambelcote.  I'll have a look later today for your Thomas and get back to you, best wishes from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
1871 the family are in Dudley Road Lye:-

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

In 1851 Thomas and Esther are aged 20 with William aged 1 living in Stourbridge Road Lye. 

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
1861 they are in Dudley Road Lye:-

I can't find Thomas in 1841??  HTH from Linell.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
This looks like the Marriage in 1850:-

ASTON Thomas NOTT Esther Oldswinford, St Mary Dudley Register Office 003/003/497

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Looks like Thomas was the son of Wm and Mary, baptised Old Swinford 1829.  That would make sense with his eldest son being called William.  HTH from Linell.

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 08 October 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Linell!

Thank you so much for your time and efforts on this. I think/hope I've gone from having a few names on a piece of paper to a line to follow up.
I guess the next step is to get a copy of George Aston's Birth Certificate to check that the Thomas, Esther and George Aston in Lomey Town are indeed the people I'm looking for.
I'll send you a PM with a more personal "Thank You"

Meanwhile, I've spoken to another elderly aunt, who tells me that:
Aunty Tet (probably Esther) had a brother, Fred, and a sister who had a farm near Kidderminster, and whose daughter married an American.
She and her other sister, Aunty Zuba (she of the sweet shop, pigsty and apple tree), were married 2 brothers, Tet to Edward and Zuba to Dick (Richard) Johnson (?possibly).
One of these couples lived in Bromley St.
The 2 brothers were related to Caroline Walker, George's wife.
Aunty Tet had 2 daughters, Henrietta and Harriet.
I think there may be some confusion here between generations, but some of this is so close to the folks Jandap describes in his picture!

Once again, many thanks,

Bryn Meurig.