Author Topic: 1901 Census Help Please  (Read 13982 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
1901 Census Help Please
« on: Monday 21 April 08 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have searched and searched and searched and I still cannot find my gr gr grandmother in the 1901  >:( 

I might be trying so hard, that it's right in front of my eyes  ::)  So....

Sophia Bowman born c1833 sometimes she's born in England another time in Ontario.  Her husband is Benjamin Bowman, but I can't find a death for him so I have no idea when he died, altough I do have Sophia living with her daughter and son in lawn in Ingersoll in the 1911 and that is where she died in 1927.

I've no idea where she could be living in the 1901, I can't find my gr grandfather for that matter  :-[ , her son John Wm. Bowman born c1872.  He was born in Fenelon Falls, Ontario, but dies in Guelph, Ontario in 1918.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 08 20:50 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance she came back to UK in 1901?

RG13/492/125/7 334 Lordship Lane Dulwich London has a
Sophia  J Bowman age 74 Widow, Mother in Law
Walter G Robbins Head age 31 Assistant Clerk
Jessie S Wife aged 41
Herbert A Bowman age 26, Manchester Warehouseman

This was the only possibilty I could find
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Certainly elusive, aren't they?

Do you have  Alice and family on the 1901 census? I had a look and couldn't find them myself but was wondering if perhaps Sophia might be with them in 1901 if she had been widowed by then as well?

Regards,
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 01:41 BST (UK) »
What was his occupation Karen?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 03:12 BST (UK) »
HI everyone,

Indal. I'm not sure if she would have gone back to UK as I'm not even sure if she was born there  :-\

JJ, Benjamin was a Millwright on the census, 1871 & 1881, I've got the 1861 somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.  Benjamin's family is from Dundas County, Ontario (Morrisburg area).

Polarbear, they sure are  :(  Hmm, Alice, I can't seem to find her in the 1901 either????

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 06:04 BST (UK) »
Ach, Can't find any of them, McDougalls or Bowmans...Looked down some surname lists as well...no can find yet...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Margery's birth is on LDS site as being Dec. 1896, Fenelon Falls ( says Feneton & Findlay is spelled Findlay )
So they were there just a few years prior to the 1901...but can't find anything in Victoria county either
and...Although down as Alice on the 1911 she seems to use Maud on several things, so she may be found as Maud...But then her husband's forename of Findlay isn't widely used...even if mistranscribed their names are all easy to spot...and I've been stumped.
Any chance they are All visiting elsewhere...Family reunion no doubt!  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting...
I was looking at the pdfs for F.Falls and did find this fellow...line 3
a John Ellis who is a lumberman...May just be coincidence but posting anyway...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=17074
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not with sister Jane Maynard ....Did you look into the other sister Mary Eliza Wilson  ( husband Archibald.)..There are several & I don't know her age
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 14:15 BST (UK) »
 >:( I can't find any of them either in the 1901!!!  I did find Archibald Wilson's death in 1934 in Toronto though and his wife Mrs. M.E. Wilson is the informant.

John Wm. Bowman's occupation I don't really know other than he worked at the factory across from my house (his house too  ;D ) Pirelli Cables, but back then it was called somthing else, they torn the factory down about 10 yeras ago to put up townhouses  ::)

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Was John W. married by 1901 and if so can you tell us his wife's name?

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Polarbear,

I have no idea when exactly John Bowman married, (I havn't been able to find their marriage) having said that the first child, Joseph John Bowman was born August 1, 1903 in Guelph, Ontario.

John Wm. Bowman married Mary/May Heffernan.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England