Author Topic: Anyone got connections with the surname Breslin?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone got connections with the surname Breslin?
« on: Monday 21 April 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been looking for a while....without any luck for info on

Hugh Breslin, born Ireland c1870...according to Hugh's marriage cert parents names, David Breslin (horse trainer) and Helen Doherty (could be Docherty)
Hugh married Newton McDowell on 30th Jan 1899, Newton's parents names are Newton Miller & Jane Thomas.
Hugh and Newton had my great grandmother, Helen, on 21st July 1900, born 14 Bell St Whiteinch.

Would love to hear from anybody with connections
Lindy-Lou

have managed to trace Newton Millers line back a bit, its the Ireland connection I stuck on
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Lightbourn,Parker, Bermuda
Cornell, USA
McFarlane,Isle of Mull & Renfrewshire
Breslin,Glasgow & Ireland

Offline DeeKay46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got connections with the surname Breslin?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just discovered this site by accident when tracing my husband's family.  His great-grandmother was Newton Miller daughter of Newton Miller and Jane Thomas.   To my knowledge, Newton as married twice (Thomas McDowell and then to Hugh Breslin).  I don't know if you are aware but Newton had a son before she married Thomas McDowell.  His name was Robert Buchanan Miller and he is my husband's grandfather.  His birth certificate shows no father and is marked "illegitimate".  So we will never know that part of the family.  I go back to Mr Newton Miller and know where he was born and christened in England but I can't go back any further that that for he or his wife Jane.  I found the birth dates of all of the children except Joseph T.  I did notice that Newton and Jane were twins. 

I would appreciate any info you could give me and, if there is anything I may be able to help you with, get in touch.

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
hi deekay
so glad you posted on rootschat!!!
i'll need to look out all the info i have on millers & thomas, i've managed to gather a little info and if my memory serves me well(?) i believe they came from lake district and surrounding areas...
i'll send you a personal message with my email address & hope to hear from you soon...........
this has made my day!!

lindy-lou :) :) :)

Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline annabett40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy-Lou & DeeKay46
saw your correspondence regarding connections to the Breslin surname.  You both seem to be linked. I think I am also as I  have the same info. you both shared re: Breslin, Miller and Thomas families. Newton Miller(m) & Jane Thomas were my maternal  great great  grandparents...  Newton Miller(f) was sister to my great grand mother Helen Miller.

I'm sorry I know little about the Breslins as they were brought into the family by marriage.  I have the following documents on Newton Keenan(f) in chronological order -Newton's(f) birth cert., birth cert. of son Robert Buchanan Miller, marriage cert. to Robert McDowell, Marriage cert. to Hugh Breslin, Death cert. of Newton Breslin, death cert. of daughter Helen Doherty Breslin + all Miller census records.  I have BDM cert. for all siblings/most spouses and children. I also have some photos--one being a portrait of Jane Thomas.

Please personal message me with your e-mail address if you'd like to share.
info. Hope to hear from you soon... anna

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
hi anna
this has been a lucky week for me regarding millers & breslin  :)
i'm off to work in a minute but will defo PM you with email addy when i get home

lindy-lou :) :) :)
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline annabett40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy-Lou & DeeKay46
saw your correspondence regarding connections to the Breslin surname.  You both seem to be linked. I think I am also as I  have the same info. you both shared re: Breslin, Miller and Thomas families. Newton Miller(m) & Jane Thomas were my maternal  great great  grandparents...  Newton Miller(f) was sister to my great grand mother Helen Miller.

I'm sorry I know little about the Breslins as they were brought into the family by marriage.  I have the following documents on Newton Keenan(f) in chronological order -Newton's(f) birth cert., birth cert. of son Robert Buchanan Miller, marriage cert. to Robert McDowell, Marriage cert. to Hugh Breslin, Death cert. of Newton Breslin, death cert. of daughter Helen Doherty Breslin + all Miller census records.  I have BDM cert. for all siblings/most spouses and children. I also have some photos--one being a portrait of Jane Thomas.

Please personal message me with your e-mail address if you'd like to share.
info. Hope to hear from you soon... anna

Offline DeeKay46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 08 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have not been on the sight for a couple of days and am just now seeing your message.  This is wonderful.  I have exchanged documents with Linda.  Hope to hear from you.

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
hi anna
have sent you Personal Message with my contact details..........

looking forward to hearing from you :)

lindy-lou
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline Chuckizzet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy-lou
Just read this...12 years late. Turns out I am the descendant of David Breslin who was Hugh's twin brother. Both born in Raphoe, Donegal Ireland. Hugh's siblings were Ellen, William and David. Parents David and Ellen. My part of the Family went to Neilston and eventually Partick. All the best.