Author Topic: 1891 census look-up request, please  (Read 1326 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1891 census look-up request, please
« on: Tuesday 22 April 08 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I am missing the 1891 census information of my g grandparents - who were married by this time.

James FERGUSON, b 1861 Ireland and Elizabeth (Dick) (nee LEGGAT) b. 1861 Scotland. . They likely lived in Workington at that time although there is also a chance they or one of them was in Scotland.
much thanks!
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census look-up request, please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Ard

Do you know for certain when they married, or when their first child was born?  I've had a llok but no entry really stands out as them at all.

If you can give a bit more solid information it's easier to help.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking. I too have been searching, with no luck.

Elizabeth Dick LEGGAT was born 1861 in Airdrie, Lanarkshire but the family moved to Harrington in the 1870s. In 1881 she was a domestic servant of James and Mary DICK (relatives, I think)

James FERGUSON was born 1861 in Ireland. In 1881, he was living with his mother (or stepmother?) Agnes and siblings John and Annie in Workington. Indeed, in 1891, the census records Agnes (reportedly "supported by sons" - Annie had since died)) living there as well as her son John (married). Like John, James would have worked at the Iron Works. So, logically, James should be there too (as one of the sons supporting his mother).

James and Elizabeth married 26-Dec-1889 presbyterian church Harrington, when they were in their late 20s. They didn't have their first child until 1894, a girl who died a year later. They eventually had 3 more girls.

I thought MAYBE they had gone to Scotland (esp Lanarkshire & the Wishaw area - there seemed to have been quite a bit of back and forth between the two places and communication with cousins including the Hallidays) but alas, I haven't had luck there either. (James was in Lanarkshire at the time of the 1901 with a brother in law; Elizabeth however was still in Workington with the children, one of whom was my grandmother.

I suppose too he MAY have gone to Canada, where they were to immigrated in 1907 -although I don't think he went that early and if he did, I don't think they would have had the luxury of both going and returning. Before emigrating, they apparently lived on Grey st.

I'm thinking the only other place would be Ireland but I don't see that as very likely either.

So, I'm stumped! Are they are hiding within an "error" - if I've not been able to find them??

ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi  ard

Thank you for the background.  That makes much more sense now.

I'll have another go.  Don't get your hopes up though.

Best wishes

Emms

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Emms & ard

I hope this saves you a bit of time.....

Cockermouth RG12/4305 Folio 17 page 27

James Ferguson Head M 29 Ironworker Ireland
Elizabeth do Wife M 29 Scotland

30 Darcy Street, Workington

Indexed as Feyuson

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
YAY... Yes that is them! I've been trying to find all the census info in hope that I can find out where in Ireland James was born (there was some indication for Agnes in 1891). Not for John nor James it seems  :(  Oh well. At least I now know my g grandparents were where I thought they'd be!

Thanks both for your help.

ard

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Well done DS!

I did have another go, and found nothing!  Again!

That definitely has saved some time!

That should move you on a bit ard!

Best wishes

Emms