Author Topic: finding lost treasures  (Read 647 times)

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
finding lost treasures
« on: Thursday 24 April 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
I was reading a post yesterday on what item belonging to our ancestors that we would most like to have. I can think of a few.
Then I was thinking about the weekend and my wander around my local antique shop. There are boxes and boxes of old photos.
 All those people who would dearly love to see what great grandma looked like and she is sadly probably gathering dust in a junk shop somewhere.
I often have a look just in-case I see great granddad staring back at me. Of course I have no idea what he looked like but I live in hope.
Has anyone ever stumbled across photos of family by accident. Or any other family treasures for that matter.
 ;D

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: finding lost treasures
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 08 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina,

I had a photo of my grandmother taken as a young mother in Scotland sent to me in Western Australia from a cousin in Canada.

Always live in hope.  There must be millions of photos in cupboards and attics around the world.

Ros

Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: finding lost treasures
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 07:15 BST (UK) »
I get so sad when I see all those photos in the antique shops  :'( :'( :'(  Sometimes I buy them just to give them a home!

The best, most unexpected family thing I've come across is an indenture on parchment, two large pages long (mostly long-winded legalese  ::) ) relating to one of my 5xgreat-grandmother, her son my 4xg-grandfather and some properties she owned in Kent.  The indenture has their signatures attached, as well as those of members of my 4x-g-grandfather's wife's family.

The best thing about all this is that the document was found by another rootschatter for sale on an internet site!  She alerted me to it, knowing I was researching the family, and I bought it.  It cost me alot, but is worth every penny  :)