Author Topic: The Great Southern/The Railway Hotel,Galway  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Southern/The Railway Hotel,Galway
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 April 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hey Migky,what great pictures the first the girl is so beautiful & elegant I love the way she has her hands clasped & her foot is pointed,the two woman could be a mother/mother in law & daughter with the basket & fish for the family meal maybe they even made the basket,the third picture the lady proudly holds her apron up from dragging the ground.The first thing that hit me with these picture was the bare feet against the hard ground then the contrast in the colour of the clothes against the shabby background the colour of red makes you feel the warmth & strength. thank you so much Migky for these wonderful pictures.-Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 April 08 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christopher, that was some really good info on the Great Southern & without advertising I must say what a wonderful looking hotel it is.Cheers Nipy

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 April 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
Here are some more photos byt the great albert kahn of the people and the Claddagh. our family's house was at the bottom of the lane leading into the Claddagh. The only running water was a stand pipe at one end of the lane. Both my grandmother would be sat on the door steps smoking old clay pipes. My great grandfather was a trawler man of the Claddagh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/photogallery/edwardians-colour5.shtml

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 April 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Brilliant I love your personal insight into the Claddagh ,each time I see pictures of the Claddagh I shall now think of your Grandmothers smoking clay pipes & your Great Granfather working hard as a trawler man & I can just imagine that house at the end of the lane, life must have been hard but there was a sight of unusual beauty.Nipy

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 11:58 BST (UK) »
This is the type of house my grandparents lived in around the turn of the century.

Images removed as it may infringe copy rights

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
I know i have gone off the original thread a little but this will be the last one ;D

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh Migky thats a great bit of info & I just love the pictures, it brings the info to life you can just imagine how it would have been.I have post a thread Claddagh in a hope it will link to this ,as I find it so interesting & I'm sure others will too-One more thing I notice  the picture with the row of cottages the middle one has dormer windows & larger window Sile's I bet that was very grand & the picture with the girl & the birds,I've seen these type of bird cages in Ireland my Granmother had one which she said my Granfather made (1920s)So them cages would have been home made too I wonder what the birds are ? + the new houses look so very modern next to the cottages.Once again thank you Migky or as the people of the Claddagh would have said go raibh maith agat.Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
HEY I love the info , If you have any more do post it ! What a surprise who would believe that last pictures was linked to the previous.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 14:17 BST (UK) »
This song is the story of the Claddagh ring. They are the same ones we have for our wedding rings

Migky ;)[/b]