Author Topic: Gilloway in Ballykelly region  (Read 9981 times)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gilloway in Ballykelly region
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 April 08 15:25 BST (UK) »
marriage. GEORGE GALWAY TO ISABELLA MOORE 26-5-1864 @ BALLYKELLY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,TAMLAGHT FINLAGAN, NEWTOWN LIMAVADY, DERRY/L.DERRY.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 April 08 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mary,

This one is a hard one, as on the 1901 george senior was listed as been 50 years old.

Its in the too hard basket for now.

thanks anyway

susan
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 April 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
Just looked at George Gilloway Jnr Death record 1922 at
www.bdm.qld.gov.au
it lists his parents as George Gilloway (Sen.)and Isabella Stewart.

their was a Jane Stewart listed as been present at the birth of one of the children.

might pay to look at scotish records from George (Sen.)

Susan
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Just looked at George Gilloway Jnr Death record 1922 at
www.bdm.qld.gov.au
it lists his parents as George Gilloway (Sen.)and Isabella Stewart.
their was a Jane Stewart listed as been present at the birth of one of the children.
might pay to look at scotish records from George (Sen.)
Susan
Who was the informant on George's death certificate in 1922? It could be that the information is wrong because the person was mistaken.

Where do Scottish records come into this?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
At the issue of death cert it was possibly information by wife given. We dont know.

I dont have the death cert. only going by what is on BMD at website.

As for the scottish factor,  SHipping info provided by distant cousin.  Says passengers listed as Scotch.

Dont have anything to go on from here.

thanks for looking anyway.
I will put this in the two hard basket for now.

Susan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello floozy,

There might be no harm contacting Ken McGilloway to see if he knows if some of his ancestors dropped the Mc. www.themcgillowaygallery.com/gallery/aboutus.htm

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:19 BST (UK) »
As for the scottish factor, SHipping info provided by distant cousin. Says passengers listed as Scotch.

If they were Presbyterian they might have considered themselves as Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scots.

Yesterday you posted details from 1901 census bt didn't mention what's listed for George Snrs place of birth- does it say Co. Derry or Scotland or something completely different?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Okay thanks will give it a try,

Thats what makes this research fun.

I am not the only one researching this line, however my other contact has not got any further with her research so finding me was a bonus for her.

We are now sharing our knowledge together.

Their has been some suggestion from others it could have been Mc Gilloway and other variations. So all comments appreciated.

Would love to know where George Sen. buried in Ireland

I have been emailed a picture of him but of course their is no dates.

anyhow thanks
Im going to call it a night.

take care Susan

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:45 BST (UK) »
Okay just read the bit about the census,
this is an email I received from a distant cousin of my husbands

Susan
I have the birth records for all of George’s (jrn)brothers and sisters and they all say Moore – I have noted that on the birth of one child present at the birth was Jane Stewart!  My researcher interview a cousin of George and she noted Isabella as being Isabella Moore,

Good luck with the website.  Am happy to share photo – don’t forget I am in US for 4.5 weeks.

Regards Anne

This was typed in.  Not the actual Census

Appeared on the census on 31 Mar 1901 in Ballyspallan Dry Irl.8 Address: Ballyspallan
GILLOWAY George, Head of Household, Presbyterian, R&W, 27yrs, Marr, Farm Labourer, born County
Derry
GILLOWAY Lizzie, wife, aged 23 yrs
GILLOWAY, Annabella, daughter, aged 2yrs,
GILLOWAY, George, son, 4months
GILLOWAY George, father, Widower, Farm Labourer, aged 50yrs, cannot read.