Author Topic: HANMER PARISH LOOKUP REQUEST - HUNT/MATHER  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Irene Lilian Hunt

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
HANMER PARISH LOOKUP REQUEST - HUNT/MATHER
« on: Monday 17 January 05 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Would be very grateful if anyone can look up a marriage for me in Hanmer to see what info is on the actual record.

Thomas Hunt & Mary Mather
6/6/1737

Many thanks, Irene
NORFOLK: Spinks, Clay, Balls, Fife, Whistler, Head, Child, Youngs, Rising, Millican
SOMERSET:  Clay, Crosse, Oldfield, Harding, Curry
SHROPSHIRE:  Hunt, Cox, Bloore, Blantern, Cooke
FLINTSHIRE: Hunt, Mather, Cooke
KENT: Barwick, Jarman, Pearce, Graves, Beane, Scales
ARMAGH:  McArdle
TIPPERARY:  Beven/Bevens/Bevins, Cleary, Ryan
OFFALY: Cleary
GERMANY:  Conrades, Busse, Habenicht, Appuhn, Hage, Hillmer, Hernig, Wockener, Meyer, Schnranz
ESSEX:  Smith, Page

Offline Woollams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HANMER PARISH LOOKUP REQUEST - HUNT/MATHER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 January 05 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

I've just joined this site so apologies in advance as I don't know if this is any help:

6 June 1737 Thomas HUNT of the parish of Bronington married Mary MATHER of the parish of Hanmer by Banns.

Baptisms:
10 Dec 1738  Thomas s of Thomas and Mary HUNT of (Rowry?)
6 Jan 1741  John s of Thomas and Mary HUNT of Hanmer
5 May 1745  Mary d of Thomas and Mary HUNT of Hanmer
29 May 1748 David s of Thomas and Mary HUNT of Hanmer

Taken from a transcript up to 1748.

Aileen HILL (nee WOOLLAMS)

Interested in WOLLAM, WOOLLAM in Hanmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 05 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aileen,  Thank you for that info because it tells me of which parishes Thomas and Mary were.

Do you have any access to baptism for either of those parishes which might help me with Thomas and Mary.

One would hope that they were about 20 when married so we would be looking for baptisms in the regions of say 1710 and upwards.  As the first child was baptised six months after marriage I'm thinking they might be youngsters.

Regards, Irene
NORFOLK: Spinks, Clay, Balls, Fife, Whistler, Head, Child, Youngs, Rising, Millican
GERMANY:  Conrades, Busse, Habenicht, Appuhn, Hage, Hillmer, Hernig, Wockener, Meyer, Schnranz

Offline Woollams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

The transcripts cover baptisms 1709 - 1748 and marriage 1709 - 1748.

Although baptisms can take place quite a while after a marriage (I have come across a whole page of entries in a local baptisms register for members of the same family - the eldest child was 17 years of age - it looked like a "job lot"), Thomas (jnr) was baptised 18 months after the marriage.

Given the above timespan of the transcipts, the only MATHER baptism is on 26 March 1727 for John son of John and Anne MATHER (Father's Occupation Tow Dresser) Abode Hanmer.

A quick look shows that there are another 7 entries under MATHER/MATTHER for marriages (apart from Mary). 
Another 7 marriages for HUNT (apart from Thomas).
25 entries for Baptisms under HUNT (although this will not be the final number of dates as the parents first names are also included in the index as well as the child). 

Unfortunately I won't have time to send them until the weekend.

Regards for now.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 January 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aileen for any effort you go to for me it is very gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Irene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 January 05 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Also you are so correct - 18 months after marriage - I must have been a bit tired when I read it or my maths is not so good.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Irene

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 05 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Irene,
Don't know if this is any good to you?

1841 Census Bronington.
William Hunt, 30, Shoe Maker.
Sarah            20.
John,               9.
Sarah,             2.
All Born in this Parish.

Moses Hunt, 55.
Frances,        55.
Mary,               8.
All Born of this Parish.
Could not see any Hunt's in Hanmer on the 1841.

1851 Hanmer Village Census.
John Hunt, 47. Shoe Maker. b, Hanmer.
Lyddia,       45.                     b. Liverpool.
Moses,       18. Shoe maker. b,Hanmer.
Frances,     17.                           """"
Elizabeth,   13.                           """"
John,           11.                             """
Ann,              9.                               ""
Charlotte,     7.                                ""

Paul.

Offline Woollams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

These are the MATHER/MATTHER marriages from the transcripts:

24 Dec 1711  James MATHER of this parish married Jane HUMPHREYS of Ellismear.

12 Jan 1715  John EVISON of this parish married Margarett MATHER of this parish.

28 July 1723  Thomas ROGERS of Halghton (Occupation Day Lab) married Jane MATHER spinster of Hanmer by Banns.

2 Feb 1725  John MATHER of this parish (Day Lab) married Anne JEBB spinster of Loppington by Banns.

21 July 1729  Roger LEWIS of this parish (Workman at Papermill at Halghton) married Katherine MATHER spinster of this parish by Banns.

19 October 1731  John WELCH widower of Bronington married Jane MATTHER widow of Hanmer by Banns.

2 Jan 1735  John MATHER of Hanmer married Hannah BARKLEY of Hanmer by Banns.

I have put the above how the dates are in the transcript (however those Jan - March may be in what is now known as the next year).

Will send the HUNT entries later on this weekend.

Regards

Aileen Hill (nee Woollams)

Offline Woollams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 05 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Marriages for HUNT in the Hanmer Transcripts 1709 - 1748:

17 Dec 1710  William HUNT of Malpas married Martha TRAVERS of Malpas by Licence.

26 Mar 1722  Joseph HUNT of Tybroughton (Occupation Day Lab) married Elizabeth FLEET spinster of Tybroughton by Banns.

23 Oct 1727  Walter BRADSHAW of this parish (Yeoman) married Anne HUNT spinster of this parish by Licence.

6 Oct 1736  John HUNT of this parish married Mary EDWARDS of this parish by Banns.

25 July 1743  Edward HUNT of Bronington married Hannah WOOLLAM of Bronington by Banns.

23 Jan 1743  Thomas TITLEY married Margaret HUNT of this parish by Banns.  (This is listed at the end of 1743 so could be in 1744).

31 Dec 1745  Matthew BUTLER married Mary HUNT of Tybroughton by Banns.

A couple of remarks about the above.   

Two were marriages by Licence and if these "tie in" with what you are looking for it may be worth your while (no pun intended as I'm not sure of the cost) trying to find out if the Marriage Allegations and Marriage Bonds have survived and if available.

I've paid for searches and photocopies for some WOOLLAMS's which are held at Lichfield Record Office and been given some.  Whilst some did not give any further information than I had already got another proved an earlier marriage and showed my ggg grandfather was a Customs and Excise Officer!

This leads nicely into my second remark - one of marriages of HUNT is to a WOOLLAM.  I've not made a connection (yet) but the father of the Customs and Excise Officer, also called Richard WOOLLAMS, was born in Hanmer - details from his Deed of Settlement in Colton, near Stafford dated 31 Jan 1765, in which the name is recorded as WOOLAMS at the top and WOOLLAMS at the bottom!

Working backwards through all the places he was hired and timescales listed in the Deed of Settlement and the fact that there is only one baptism entry in the Hanmer index it ties in with Richard baptised 11 Feb 1732 son of Thos (Jnr) WOOLLAM of Bronington.

This in turn could tie in with the only marriage in 1709 - 1748 of Tho WOOLLAM of this parish (Servant) married Elizabeth HITCHCOCK spinster of this parish on 30 March 1725.

I'm hoping to visit a Record Office holding the parish records myself this/next year.  I've also put the earlier Hanmer Transcripts on my "wish list".

If possible, could you please try a search on WOLLAM/WOOLLAM/WOOLLAMS in Hanmer on your index and see how many turn up?  (I've already tried the IGI).   

Will send HUNT baptisms through later.