Author Topic: KNIGHT/DOUGHTY Families  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
KNIGHT/DOUGHTY Families
« on: Sunday 27 April 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching these two families, Knight and Doughty from Herts? Julia Jane Knight mrd William Henry Doughty Aug. 27,1888 at Royston, Herts and Jamima Knight mrd Charles Edward Doughty Mar Qtr 1894 St John`s Hackney London. These brides are sisters and the grooms are brothers.

Peggy
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is not a rehersal.
    • View Profile
Re: Knight/Doughty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 April 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
My research interests are with the Knights family although some of my certificates have arrived without the "s" on the end. The family seem to originate from the village of Therfield in Hertfordshire which is not far from Royston. You may find the site below of interest although I did have a quick look for you and the Knights all have the "s" however there are some "Kings" inthe village which may be relatives;
www.therfield.net
Herts: Marlborough, Cobb, Knights, Wilkins
Norfolk: Engall, Tyrrell
Neath and Somerset: Bennett

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Knight/Doughty
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 April 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
Gembar,   Thanks for the reply. I don`t see anyone on the Therfield site with a possible connection. I appreciate your interest.

Peggy
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: KNIGHT/DOUGHTY Families
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

I see from the 1901 Census that Julia was born in Hitchin circa 1865, but William Henry was born in Hackney and not Hertfordshire, and that their children were born in Middlesex.  (RG13/1251 F60 P46)

Do you have any reason to believe that this is incorrect and the DOUGHTYS were from Hertfordshire and not Middlesex?  As this seems to be confirmed by the 1871 census where William is living with his family in Hackney - (RG10/319 F 99 P49) His father James gives his birthplace as Saffron Walden, Essex and his mother Morden, Surrey.

On the couple's marriage record, the fathers names are given as James DOUGHTY & Benjamin KNIGHT.

DOUGHTY, William Henry Aged 23 to Julia Jane KNIGHT, Aged 23
Married 27 Aug 1888   
Royston, Herts
Husband's Father:   James DOUGHTY
Wife's Father:   Benjamin KNIGHT

Julia and her family are living in Back Street Hitchin in 1871 though she is listed as Jane. (RG10/1368 F 71& 72 Pages 40 & 41) Several of the older children had been born in Luton, Beds. Benjamin's father William was also living with the family and gives his birthplace as Hitchin as does Benjamin.

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick,thanks so much for the reply. Yes Julia(Jane) was b in Hitchin the daughter of Benjamin`s 2nd wife. Her b cert gives mother only, however she always went by Knight. I have no reason to doubt the Doughtys were from Mdlsx. I do not have the 1871 census for the Doughty family. I have the mariage record of Julia and William, and always wondered why they mrd in Royston. Her sister Jamima and his brother Charles were mrd at St John`s Hackney Mar qtr 1894. I have the 1871 census for Hitchin. The children b at Luton are Ben`s from his 1st mrg. My record has Ben`s father as Thomas age 62 a carpenter, blind for ten yrs living on relief.  Benjamin is my great grandfather and Thomas my 2xs great grandfather. So what this all means to me is if I want more info on the Doughtys I have to dig into the Hackney records.
I can`t thank you enough for all your help.
Regards,
Peggy
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

I do not have the 1871 census for the Doughty family.

Here they are:

1871 Census
RG10/319 F99 P49
74 Culford Road
Hackney
Middlesex

DOUGHTY

James, Head, Married, 36, Tobacconist's Shopman (Very hard to read!  I may be way off!!!) b Saffron Waldon, Essex
Eliza, Wife, 43, b Morden, Surrey
Charles, Son, 7, Scholar, b Hackney
William H, Son, 5, Scholar, b Hackney

grandfather and Thomas my 2xs great grandfather. So what this all means to me is if I want more info on the Doughtys I have to dig into the Hackney records

Well, probably Essex would be a better bet given that James came from Saffron Walden.

http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/cha.jsp?channelOid=13813

I have the mariage record of Julia and William, and always wondered why they mrd in Royston.

Marriages normally took place in the parish of settlement of the bride.  Perhaps Julia worked in Royston, gained settlement met William, who may also have been working in the area and so they married there.

Julia(Jane) was b in Hitchin the daughter of Benjamin`s 2nd wife. Her b cert gives mother only, however she always went by Knight.
Regards,
Peggy

However, with regard to the KNIGHTS.  If there is no father mentioned on Julia's birth certificate, I would be cautious.  Benjamin may be her father, but it would probably be worth investigating the Hitchin records for bastardy bonds and parish relief for Julia's mother. 

If you need any more census lookups for either family let us know.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rick, what a prince you are. Thanks a million for the 1871 census record. Regarding Julia Jane when she was born Ben was living in Luton Beds and had a daughter Lucy, born the same year,probably named for his mother Lucy Hide. By the time Lucy arrived he had joined the Army and was in Scutari! That`s not to say Julia Jane can`t be his, I guess. Would not be surprised. However Julia was accepted into the family as one of ours.
What a muddled web we weave. I`ll see what I can learn from the bastardy bonds and parish relief. Her mother was a Winn born in St Ippollitis, Herts.

Thanks again,
Peggy

Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts