Re: sharp
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 April 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
how do i find the parish register

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sharp
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 April 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
The only marriage I can see that fits was in 1789 at Thorney, Cambs which is on the IGI (and is also on Hunts Marriage Index, the reason for which escapes me),  which is 10 miles from Yaxley, between William Sharp and Mary Sharman. You need to check the parish register for any other detail.

You can order a microfilm of Yaxley parish register (it has been filmed by the LDS but has not been extracted onto the IGI or BVRI) at your nearest Family History Centre of the LDS - list of centres on www.familysearch.org, or at Huntingdon Records Office if that's closer.

Mary Sharpe age 86 was buried at Yaxley on 29 Nov 1848. William Sharpe age 80 was buried at Yaxley on 14 Feb 1849. Elizabeth Sharpe age 60 was buried at Yaxley on 23 Jun 1858. A William Sharpe age 75 was buried in Yaxley on 27 Aug 1857

Like Andrea, I wonder how you know, rather than suspect,  that William born 1792/7 at Sawtry or Yaxley, depending on which census you believe,  is the son of William and Mary who married and died at Yaxley. There's a marriage in 1821 at Sawtry All Saints  of William Sharp of Sawtry St Andrew and Elizabeth Youngs. You say Elizabeth says she was born in Maple - have you found anywhere called Maple in Cambs? I haven't. The most likely seems to be Mepal, but this is 18 miles from Sawtry.

A transcription on fiche of Sawtry St Andrew parish register is available from Hunts FHS

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock