Author Topic: *SOLUTION* Ancestry website freezing Internet Explorer  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *SOLUTION* Ancestry website freezing Internet Explorer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 07:37 BST (UK) »
Ancestry aren't the quickest people in the world to solve problems, as many have already demonstrated.  When I got a new laptop about a year ago, I tried to install the enhanced viewer on it, and it wouldn't work, because at the time it wasn't Vista compatible (it is now).  Anyway, I think I spoke too soon about Norton being the sole culprit - yesterday I noticed that the viewer was still locking up Internet Explorer occasionally, so now I'm back to using the basic one !  Actually, the "enhanced" one isn't much better anyway !

If you are having problems loading the enhanced viewer - I've also had this problem - one possible solution involves clearing out your cookies on Internet Explorer, because Ancestry know whether you have the enhanced viewer because the information is stored on a cookie on your PC.  Note that if you clear cookies, you will lose all your automatic site logins, so make sure you can remember all your site passwords before you clear them  :o

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Nick........but I tried that and cookies or not it still won't load..even though it tells me it has...then very quickly when I try to use it tells me it hasn't  ;D

It's good to know tho that it isn't much better than the basic one.... :-\

dollylee

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
I've just ordered Kaspersky 7 Internet Security which is supposed to be a lot better than Norton.  You can get it from http://www.software.co.uk for £17.99 for a single-user version, or you can get it with a licence for 3 PC's for £39.99. 

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline wonkiewidge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know why Ancestry is trying to install the Enhanced image viewer anyway. I already had it up and running.

I don't have Norton.

It definately seems to have started when I tried out the new layout.

>:(

Linda
London & Middlesex
Clement, England, Record, Pittman, Reeve, Crane, Mulvey, Jones, Elliott, Nailor,

Shropshire/ Herefordshire
Humphries/reys, Howells, Hodnet, Medlicott, Prince, Coulton/Colton/Brecknock,

Gloucestershire - Bristol ....... Surname  'England'

Kent
Gullock

Suffolk
Battram, Langley, Becraft/Becroft

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:25 BST (UK) »
Note that if you clear cookies, you will lose all your automatic site logins, so make sure you can remember all your site passwords before you clear them 

Not if you use CCleaner.  It allows you to add cookies that you want to keep.

Click on the Options button and then Cookies.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wonkiewidge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a break through!

I've managed to get Ancestry up & running again.

If any one has similar problems and is on AOL v. 9.0 + win XP this is how I did it:

Find the Temporary internet files by Clicking the settings button on the tool bar (the little square with a tick on it). Then click the tab labelled 'By category'  then Internet web options. Under the browse history section click the settings button. then 'view files'. This then takes a minute whilst the computer generates the list.

The next stage is to locate the Ancestry cookies in the file. If your list is large, the easiest way of doing this is to press the keys control & F together. On the left hand side of the window it will ask "What do you want to search for?" Click 'All files & Folders'. In the next window type in Ancestry in the 1st box (All or part of file name). Then click Enter.

After a minute it will come back with the items in this folder that have anything to do with Ancestry. I found the Ancestry cookies right at the bottom of the page.

These I deleted, but as stated before, make a note of your username & password.

Worked for me...................... Good Luck

Linda
London & Middlesex
Clement, England, Record, Pittman, Reeve, Crane, Mulvey, Jones, Elliott, Nailor,

Shropshire/ Herefordshire
Humphries/reys, Howells, Hodnet, Medlicott, Prince, Coulton/Colton/Brecknock,

Gloucestershire - Bristol ....... Surname  'England'

Kent
Gullock

Suffolk
Battram, Langley, Becraft/Becroft

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 May 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
Success !!!

My copy of Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 arrived this morning from http://www.software.co.uk

I downloaded the removal tool from Symantec to remove Norton Internet Security 2008, and ran it.  Then I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0

Bliss !!  ;D  My browser doesn't freeze when I'm looking at census images on Ancestry.  The advanced viewer opens and runs without a murmur.  When I go back to the Ancestry pages, no freezes ! 

I'm not letting any more Symantec products near my PC again !  >:(

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 May 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been driven demented for the last week or so with this wretched freezing of Ancestry. I had just updated my Norton security and wondered vaguely whether there was any connection but had no idea how to go about solving the problem.
I can now get at images again and have also managed to switch to the enhanced viewer. Sadly, I decided earlier that I needed some new software to clean up the system and have spent what will probably turn out to have been an unnecessary sum of money. Still, it almost certainly won't do any harm.
But I do have to ask myself why I didn't look into  "Technical Help" sooner. I did post a message about the problem in a different section of Rootschat but it was only when I came to my senses about half an hour ago that I realised I had been ignoring the obvious place.

Now - is there anyone out there who can mend my oven?

Cheers,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 May 08 14:31 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help, Jen  :)

Unfortunately my update of Norton coincided with my upgrading of my computer and re-installing Windows, so I was tearing my hair out too ! 

Best Wishes,  Nick.