Author Topic: WILKINSON Yorkshire. My brickwall  (Read 5267 times)

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WILKINSON Yorkshire. My brickwall
« on: Monday 28 April 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I know I have asked about this before but I still haven't been able to get any further, so I am hoping that maybe someone who hasn't seen my question before can help me.

My 2X great grandfather Richard Charles Wilkinson was born on a barge in Thorne 1823. He married Jane Gibson 1846 in Hull and was a shipwright. His family continued to live in Hull according to the census records.

My problem is in trying to find his parents William and Sarah. William was also a shipwright and though I found Richard on the 1841 census living with another family called Smith, I can't make a decision as to which couple are William and Sarah his parents. I have no idea when or where they were born. I suppose as a shipwright he could have travelled to Thorne at the time of his son's birth to work, so I have no idea how to find any more information on them.

If anyone can come up with any suggestions I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.
Aitchison Scotland, Hull. Burrows Hull. Gibson Hull. Locking Linc's, Hull. Remington,Rimmington York's. Wales, York's. Ward, Hull. Whiteley Linc's, Hull. Wilkinson Thorne, Hull. Yeaman York's.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINSON Yorkshire. My brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you managed to find any likely William & Sarah Wilkinsons on the 1841/1851 censuses?

Unfortunately, it's a common name but there can't be that many William Wilkinsons who were shipwrights. Hopefully!  :-\

Do you know of any more of their children?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I have looked on the 1841 census for Hull and found William 30, Sarah 30, with sons William 15, George 11.
Another one William 65 a mariner and Sarah 55.
William 35, Sarah 25, children Isaac 10, Ann 8, Mary 6 and Jane 8mths.
William 40, Sarah 30 children William 16 and George 11.

There isn't an entry for a shipwright and I don't know if they were actually in Hull at the time. or if they were from Hull at all.
With Richard being with another family on the census I don't know if he had any siblings, so it's all guess work really.

The 1851 census shows
Sarah 35 a Mariners wife with children John 9, Robert 6, James 3 and Henry 1.
Sarah 45 a Seamans wife with children George 18, Sarah 16, Elizabeth 11, William 8 and John 3.
I couldn't find a William and Sarah together.

There are 2 marriages for William and Sarah in Hull about the right time
William a mariner married Sarah Smith a widow 1825 Sculcoates   and
William married Sarah Darby a minor 1817 Sculcoates.

How do I work these out to find out if any of them are mine?

Thanks for help.
Aitchison Scotland, Hull. Burrows Hull. Gibson Hull. Locking Linc's, Hull. Remington,Rimmington York's. Wales, York's. Ward, Hull. Whiteley Linc's, Hull. Wilkinson Thorne, Hull. Yeaman York's.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
It's certainly a difficult one!

As you say, William & Sarah may not even be from the Hull area - a birth in a barge doesn't exactly smack of permanency!  ::)

Also, a shipwright made ships/boats so I'd say pretty different from a seaman/mariner.

I'd try and find Wm & Sarah on the 1851 census (good chance they'd still be alive) but would extend the search to the whole country and would search on name and profession. Sorry, I don't have a sub to Ancestry so can't help, but I'm sure others can.  ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Thank you for your help. I agree it is a tough one.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 May 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Can I ask if you've gone any further with your Jane Gibson? I see from your profile that you have Gibsons from Hull - so do I!

Well, to be exact, mine are from Hull but, before that, from West Yorkshire - they moved over to East Yorks in the 1890s. I know it's not an uncommon name so chances are there won't be any connection - but I thought I'd ask!!  ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 May 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Jill,
I don't have a lot of information on the Gibson family but you are welcome to what I have.
Jane was born 1826 Hull, Died 1905. She had 4 siblings that I know of, Mary Ann and Emma born 1831, George William and Alfred born 1837. Their parents were Joseph and Mary Ann Walton. Joseph was born 1802 Hull and married 18 Dec 1824 Hull.
My guess work has led me to his parents Benjamin and Isabella who married 1794 Hull. Joseph had 3 siblings Benjamin born 1795, John born 1797 and Mary born 1802 all born in Hull.
By the way Richard Wilkinson and Jane Gibson married 1 Feb 1846 had 6 children and Jane and her 3 daughters were all dressmakers.
Pam.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 May 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I can't see an obvious link with my Gibsons. As I said, they came over from the Dewsbury area of West Yorks in the 1890s. They were involved in the fairs which travelled between the 2 places and particularly Hull Fair.

Oh well, worth a try!!  ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 May 08 13:06 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the Smith's, that Richard Charles Wilkinson was staying with on the 1841 census.  There is marriage on www.yorkshirebmd in 1840 between Samuel Smith and Jane M Wilkinson  On the IGI there is a christening in Sutton on Holderness on the 30 Jan 1820 for a Jane Maria Wilkinson to William and Sarah Wilkinson - a possible sister to Richard Charles.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk